Contraception using dp

I would like take contraceptive measures for 3 years and wish to take depo provera. I came to know that the first shot is taken during the fifth day of periods and continues within every thirteen weeks. My periods have not yet started after my delivery. Eighty days have been completed till today. My question is that when can I have my first shot and should I wait for my period to start. Please clear my doubt.

Doctor Answers (3) on Contraception using dp

U don't need to wait for your periods but Do your urine pregnancy test once and if in doubt, do one Usg also to rule out pregnancy. Then u can go for Depo provera injection. But u must know few things. This injection may sometimes lead to irregular periods or spotting. If you face this side effects, u need not worry much. Also, long term use of Depo provera cause osteoporosis. So limit it's use for upto max 1 year, though the bone loss gets  recovered after stopping it
Dr. Kuldeep Wagh Pune | Gynecologist
ARE YOU AWARE THAT DEPO PROVERA WILL STOP YOUR PERIODS TILL YOU R ON THE DRUG. THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU WOULD BE A COPPER T. IF YOUR ARE COMFORTABLE WITH COMPLETE AMENNORRHEA THEN YOU CAN OPT FOR DEPO PROVERA
Dr. Vijyaben Patel Ahmedabad | Gynecologist
Hi,If you opted for depo provera, you can either start at 5th day of period or can start after confirming non pregnant status by ultrasound and if required upt and or beta HCG when in doubt. Not necessary to wait for the period.