Chronic urticaria

I am having chronic urticaria from last seven years. Last year it got worse than ever, every year my dermatologist had to change my medicine because after some time my medicine was not able to prevent itching and rashes. Last year as prescribed by dermatologist I was taking cetrezine but it stopped preventing rashes after some blood test I came to know that there was some infection in my blood that's why my allergy got worse. Somehow my general physician successfully decreased the level of infection in my blood to control the amount of rashes. From last year to till now I am taking medicines prescribed by him but he is also unable to cure my problem. What should I do? Because taking medicines like cetrezine would not help me to cure chronic urticaria. Even I don't know the exact reason of my problem. I thought dry fruits are the main reason but avoiding dry fruits couldn't helped much. Some inputs from you would be grateful. Thanks

Doctor Answers (1) on Chronic urticaria

Thanks for the query.​​
Hives are irritating and difficult to live with. Chronic urticaria is the medical terminology and this condition needs proper assessment. The triggers should be identified. Based on your description, it appears that you have intermittent variable of chronic urticaria. These conditions have strong r​elation to one's internal health and it needs to be evaluated as often quoted - Skin is the mirror of internal health. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation which probably will include a non-sedative antihistamine and some other medications based on blood chemistry. A common mistake is to take antihistamines as when and needed while it should be taken for a reasonably long time frame in urticaria whether you develop hives or not. After a certain period, it is advisable to wean the treatment. Few advance treatment options also exist which requires once a month treatment. Hope it helps.