Choosing Dental Crowns

I am about do undergo RCT on my lower back tooth. Which type of crown should I be going for and what would be the advantages/disadvantages of each option?

Doctor Answers (2) on Choosing Dental Crowns

Crowns have to be chosen based on the rehabilitation required. Primarily it is the function that is chewing, then esthetics and last is the price. please ask you dentist based on these requirements and will be easy for both of you to choose.
Dr. Asha Praveena Bangalore | Periodontist
Any crown given after rct helps in restoring the chewing ability of the that tooth. The various options available would be: 1) metal crown Adv: most economic Disadv: not very esthetic/ not tooth colored. 2) pfm ( ceramic with metal) Adv: tooth colored Disadv: the metal layer inside may discolour gums over a period of time. 3) zirconia (all ceramic without metal) Adv: most esthetic/ very close to natural tooth -No gum discoloration with long term use Disadv: expensive compared to others