Blackened gums

I have been smoking since 3 years. Noticed blackness in my gums two days ago and quit smoking since then. Do you think I have cancer? Can there be any easy remedy to treat my blackened gums?

Doctor Answers (3) on Blackened gums

BLACKENED GUMS DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEANS CANCER..Even personal skin colour is also responsible for black gums..Due to Melanocytes (Skin cells )..if ur skin complexion is fair or medium then it might be due to smoking which be made normal by GUM DEPIGMENTATION by LASER..please consult doc as soon as possible..preferably PERIODONTIST (GUM DICTOR)
Hey buddy! No need to run up to the fear of cancer because of pigmentation. Smoking causes excessive melanin production in the gums. Melanin is a pigment present in skin normally; it gives the respective color to our skin. When there is excessive melanin production in the gums you see dark pigmentation. This excessive production may be due to habits like smoking or even due to hereditary factors. Just get yourself examined by a qualified dentist, he'll do the clinical examination and help you understand the problem and the solution. Solution includes quitting of the habit and also depigmentation if required. Take care and don't worry!
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. 

I can understand your concern. 
No. Blackened gums is not cancer.
It is staining due to smoking.
Smoking does however, cause cancer. It would be better if you quit it completely.
Have a healthy diet, exercise daily and drink plenty of water.
Best regards.
Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Bangalore.