Biting of teeth.

When I sleep I unconsciously bite my teeth on each other. While I'm conscious I can't bite my teeth that hard as compared to the one which I do unconsciously. Now I feel that they have grown thinner from the end part. Is this normal or is there any harm in this? Is there any solution to stop this?

Doctor Answers (10) on Biting of teeth.

It's not normal to bite or clench teeth in rest. Get your teeth levelling ( occlusion ) checked. An expert will suggest bite balancing and / or night guard. You are more prone to develop a complex condition called TMD.
Yes. Its attrition. Visit a specialist - Prosthodontist and get a bite gaurd to protect your teeth and correct the damaged teeth
Mostly stress related...visit your dentist
Hello, Mam,you need to visit a dentist ASAP and once the amount of attrition/wearing of the tooth structure due to your bruxism habit is assessed,an effective treatment plan can be chalked out.You may need to wear night guards to prevent further enamel wear. Regards Dr Suman Makam
Dr. Ratnika Agarwal Pune | Dental Surgeon
As per your description problem is Bruxism which can be resolved with proper dentist guidance.visit the dentist as soon as possible and get XRAY done to see the damage level.night guards are one of the possible solution at intermin level of damage
Dr. Kshitiz Rohilla Faridabad | Oral Pathologist
This condition is called as bruxism and it is not uncommon these days..... although the damage that has already occurred due to the excessive grinding of the teeth cannot be reversed without interventional treatment, the further damage can be avoided by the use of soft night guards which can also be used for muscle training..... a proper clinical examination by your dentist followed by counseling regarding the causes of your bruxism will help you a lot....
Regards....
Hi your suffering from the condition called bruxism,you require proper counselling n treatment,in the long run it will damage your teeth.Visit nearby dentist for further review.
what you are facing is called bruxism in our parlance.  it causes wearing off of your teeth as they are grinding against each other at night & that too with excessive force.  this will have some serious damage to your teeth in the long run & may cause sensitivity as well reduction in vertical height of your dentition.
please visit a nearby dentist as soon as you can. He/She will examine your teeth, take necessary xrays if needed or advise a full mouth xray (OPG) to check the damage to your jaw joints.  if no considerable damage has happened then you just need to wear the night guards which will be given to you by the dentist daily at night for few months till this problem is solved.
Hope this helps
Dr. Gaurav Bhardwaj Delhi | Dental Surgeon
Another problem associated is MPDS- myofunctional pain dysfunction syndrome. In this condition, patient has a diffuse pain over temple region or over other areas of mouth. difficulty in opening or closing the jaws may follow. Immediate treatment is recommended.
Hi you having dental problem called bruxism in which patient unconsciously do the biting ag night and after long time its leads the problem in teeth called attrition so to avoid all this you have visit the dentist he will give you the treatment as well the night guard and and other needful so plz don't be delay regards dr d s Rajput Pune