Bipolar disorder

I have been suffering from bipolar disorder since 15 years. Married since 4.5 years. I am planning to get pregnant. Will it be safe? I am on arip mt 10 mg and folic acid cap and zapiz 0.25 mg if needed.

Doctor Answers (1) on Bipolar disorder

Dr. Akhil Chopra Jalandhar | Neuropsychiatrist
For Aripiprazole there are no controlled data in human pregnancy. It belongs to pregnancy category C: that is - Drugs which, may have caused or may be suspected of causing, harmful effects on the human fetus or neonate without causing malformations. These effects may be reversible. But potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Most of the psychiatrists consider it a comparatively safer option for mood disorders and schizophrenia. If you are stable on the above said medications then you should continue with it. As said earlier minor risks to the baby will be there but there is a much more probability that you will have a healthy pregnancy. However before taking a final decision discuss with your gynaecologist and psychiatrist.