Beta thalasssemia

I would like to know detailed diet plan vegetarian for beta thalassemia trait as my husband and son r recently diagnosed with the same.

Dr. Navya G
Hi there..Beta thalassemia is a blood disorder that reduces the production of hemoglobin in our body. Hemoglobin is protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen and delivers to other cells in our body. Due to low levels of hemoglobin which leads to a lack of oxygen in many parts of the body, patients have pale skin, weakness, fatigue, bodypain. There are two types major and minor. As name suggests beta thalassemia major is severe variety requiring regular blood transfusions. Minor(trait) is mild form doesn't require or requires occasional transfusion. Have normal diet.. avoid fried foods, junk.. have antioxidants: Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Carotenoids and Flavonoids rich foods.. please consult your hematologist for further diet plan..