diabetes-icon

Autoimmune thyroidism

I have autoimmune hypothyroidism and its not genetic. I also have low hb 10.9, and low vitamin d 24 as per the test on 21-08-2016. I have been taking thyronorm 100mcg for 3 years but this time my tsh levels were increased though the vit d levels had increased from 4 to 24. and hb also reduced from 11.7 to 10.9 though i had been taking syrup dexorange for it. Last two months i had spotting between my menstrual cycles. And i have constant cramps in some part of the other. I am confused as to why my tsh increased though i had been taking the prescribed medications. Plus i am also not feeling well these days as i am feeling constantly tired, headache, dizziness and muscular cramps.

Doctor Answers (1) on Autoimmune thyroidism

Dr. Rakesh Arora Amritsar | General Endocrinologist
If your tsh is above normal range, the dose of thyroxine may have to be increased or the way it is being taken has to be changed. The menstrual spotting could be due to high tsh, but it depends on how high it is. Sometimes due to other reasons, requirement of thyroid hormones increases, which need to be ruled out.