Anxiety and depression

If I go to a psychiatrist, will they counsel or just prescribe medication? I am going through a lot in my life at the moment. I am unable to take decisions. I want someone to take decisions on behalf of me. I am prone to anxiety. I was depressed for a long time, but now I feel a little better. I don't know if it cured itself or this is a temporary phase of feeling better. I would prefer some counseling instead of medication.

Doctor Answers (7) on Anxiety and depression

Dr. Lakshmi T Rajan Chennai | Counselling Psychologist
Dear friend,

Since you are in stress first please consult a counselor or a psychotherapist. A psychotherapist cam help you come out of your symptoms without medicines.
Feel free to contact for further assistance.
Wishes

Consult a psychotherapist
Go for regular walking and increase the intake of water.
depression even when clinically significant resolves naturally often, but the caveat is it does diminish your quality of life, makes you vulnerable to another episode, often could be a harbinger of a more serious mood disorder. studies have shown that cognitive behavioural therapy does resolve depression even without medication. i would advise you to visit a psychiatrist and trust his clinical acumen as to what is best therapy for you.
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Your life is your responsibility.  Do not allow others to rake decis8aboit your loft.
If you have any difficulty or confusion consult a Psychologist in your city and learn to handle your issues by yourself
Dr. Gaurav Kulkarni Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hey as a psychiatrist i understand your concern and worry about taking medications. I want you to understand that our brain and mind is also a part of our body which we take such good care of. Even if there is a pimple on the face , we dnt wait for it to heal in the natural way, we apply a cream or a ointment. The medications prescribed by a psychiatrist is only because its the need of the issue. If there are anxiety or depression issues we need help of medicines to bring the underlying process in control. Somebody taking decision for you today may do it and you may feel good... it can be a practice unknowingly. Iam glad you know ur probe to psychological issues. Getting things controlled and bringing back your life to the best quality should be your motive. Now whether a doc prescribes meds or does counselling or both, should nt be so much of a worry. Have your goal set of getting back good happy life.see a doctor and follow doctors advice. Soon life difficulties will fall into place and you will be able to cope better with those that are not falling into place.
Varsha B G Bangalore | Psychiatrist
Go to a psychiatrist or psychologist discuss your problems whatever you are going through. See decisions should be taken by yourself but we can give options and discuss the pros and cons of each one which will give you more clarity and help you to take decisions. The need for medications will be assessed by the doctor.
Take help...postpone taking decisions till you have the clarity or else you might end up taking hasty decisions.
Jankhana Hakani Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hello mam,
I am a Consultant Psychiatrist & a Counselor. I do counseling too. Any psychiatrist will prescribe medicine only if u need it. Also as per your case, you will definitely benefit from counseling. Your depression and anxiety needs further evaluation
Consult a psychiatrist
Ms. Spandana Arun Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
There are psychiatrists who diagnose and prescribe medications if u need them, then there are clinic psychologists who specialise in diagnosing and psychotherapy n counselling along with assessments; then, there are psychologists who specialise in few assessments and counselling and then there are counsellors who counsel in general and help you through..

If you feel you have depression, it's better you consult a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist who can assess to diagnose you and then start therapy. If you feel your issues are more like a personality pattern, it's better if you can consult a clinical psychologist, they would anyway refer you to a psychiatrist if you need medications along with therapy.  I hope you find this helpful. Good luck.