Acute back ache

I have a severe back ache in my right side starting from neck till waist. It increases by evening after work. By night I also feel my right leg and hip joints going numb. I am 5 months pregnant and this has been happening for the past one week. Please advise.

Doctor Answers (1) on Acute back ache

Aches and pains are common in pregnancy, and get worse as the pregnancy advances. Pl change your posture at work. Use a comfortable chair with an upright back rest, so that you do not strain your neck while working. If you have to sit for hours together, then you should regularly get up and stretch your legs, and also relax your back muscles from time to time. You can take Paracetamol liberally in pregnancy, to help with the pain. You can apply diclofenac gel / ointment but avoid taking tablets. Hot compress may help. Please see a physiotherapist if this doesn't get better, because if the pain is secondary to muscle spasm or if it is from the pelvic girdle, you may benefit from physio.