Stomach ache

Hello doctor I have severe stomach ache during the first two days of menses..what can I do for that?

Dr. Neelima Deshpande
Sexologist 26 yrs exp Pune
Thank you for your question. Period pain during the first few days is very common and can affect up to one in three women so badly that they need to take time off from study or work. So you are not alone and your pain is very real. Many people suggest general measures like rest, hot water bottles, diet, exercise. These help but don't really make pain go away. Some measures are effective and work very well. These are specific painkiller tablets including a medicine called mefenamic acid. Certain antispasmodics can help but they can have side effects that interfere with your daytime activities. You can take them late in the evening before you sleep. Other methods that work are the combined oral contraceptive pill, the Mirena intrauterine system. Other methods that work but don't have evidence to support them are acupuncture and homeopathy. You will find people who swear by them and others who had no relief at all. Please do see your gynaecologist for help Best wishes PS you might like to visit www.patient.co.uk for information about period pain