Acne prescription query

I have acne. I was prescribed Erythego for redness on face. I've read that brimonidine( erythego's major constituent) has more negative effects than good ones, like rebound flushing and severe redness and burning of skin. Should I still go ahead with it? Does it help with the reduction in facial redness? Do I have to be worried about it's major side effects?

Doctor Answers (1) on Acne prescription query

Thanks for the query. This doesn't address the core issue of acne but it's a symptomatic treatment, most patients tolerate it well. Its a supplement to other therapy that may cause redness. Skin care is a daily ritual shaped by age, gender, socioeconomic status and internal health. Skin care needs to be customized based on the presenting complaints. There are different ways to achieve a flawless skin after acne and it needs medical interventions. Acne treatment has multiple stages - to control new breakouts, to clear the sequalae (pigmentation and scars) and to prevent a relapse. If you have active acne lesions, it should be controlled on priority basis. Acne scar and pores can be treated with subcision, dermaroller, fractional CO2 lasers, chemical peels and likewise. Remember combining treatment modalities help to achieve desired results earlier. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation. Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results