In this article we will look at:
- Types of Liposuction
- What is the time taken for, and recovery time from each liposuction procedure?
- What are the major side effects of each liposuction procedure?
- More Related Topics
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
Types Of Liposuction
Over the years, liposuction has undergone many refinements, so now, there are several options you can choose from, depending on your particular requirements and comfort level. The different forms of liposuctions are:
- Tumescent Liposuction, is a procedure in which a large dose of liquid (comprising of lidocaine, a local anaesthetic, and epinephrine, which helps to shrink blood vessels), which is two or three times the amount of fat that is to be removed, is injected. The fluid helps to bloat up fat cells, which can then be easily burst and suctioned out. This technique is known to lessen post-operative bruising, swelling, and pain.
- Wet Technique, in which a saline solution comprising of adrenaline and anaesthesia is injected, which breaks down the fat deposits. The fat deposits are then suctioned out. This technique is known for the less severe bleeding, bruising and the faster recovery time.
- Super-Wet Technique, is similar to the wet technique, with the only difference being that the amount of fluid that is injected is almost equal to the amount of fat to be removed. Just like an overfilled balloon is easy to burst, so also the fat cells then become easy to burst and get suctioned out. This causes less overall trauma to the tissues compared to the wet technique.
- Power Assisted Liposuction is a procedure, which involves using a cannula or a tube with an oscillating tip. This makes it easier for the surgeon to precisely target and completely remove all the fat deposits.
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction or Lipoplasty, which involves the application of high-frequency sound waves, through the cannula, to the areas being treated, which liquefies the fat cells. The doctor then uses the suction pump to suction out the fat.
- Pulsed Ultrasonic Liposuction, is almost the same as Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction except that in this technique, the sound waves are pulsed or cycled on and off. This cycling of the sound waves minimizes the risk of excessive heat being generated, which may burn the skin.
- Laser Assisted Lipolysis uses thermal energy to destroy the fat cells, which are then removed using the suction pump.
What is the time taken for, and recovery time from each liposuction procedure?
To know the:
time taken for each liposuction procedure
- recovery time from each liposuction procedure
please refer to the table below:
What are the major side effects of each liposuction procedure?
The major side effects of each of the liposuction procedures are pain and scarring.
More Related Topics
People interested in this topic also see:
- Fat Reduction Overview: Procedures, and Cost
1. Stephan P, Kenkel J. Updates and Advances in Liposuction. 2018. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/30/1/83/199871. Accessed March 1, 2018.
2. Venkataram J. Tumescent liposuction: A review. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840906/. Accessed March 1, 2018.
3. Rama B. Rao, M.D., Susan F. Ely, M.D., M.P.H.T.M., and Robert S. Hoffman, M.D. Deaths Related to Liposuction. 2018. Available at: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199905133401904. Accessed March 1, 2018.
4. RH G. Fatal outcomes from liposuction: census survey of cosmetic surgeons. - PubMed - NCBI. Ncbinlmnihgov. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10627013. Accessed March 1, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Muscle building burns body fat
It is not possible to turn your body fat into muscle. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle—you can't magically turn one into the other by lifting weights or doing cardio. However, weight training is the easiest way to control the shape of your body. The more muscle you have, the more fat your body will burn.
Very low fat levels are not healthy
Fats are responsible for hormone production, joint lubrication, and many other important health and muscle-building factors. Having very low fat levels could compromise your health and your goals. Everyone's body and metabolism is unique, therefore it is crucial to know how many grams of healthy fat you need to eat for a balanced nutrition regimen.
Breasts are composed entirely of fats
Female breasts are composed almost entirely of fat which is one reason why, when dieting, they tend to reduce in size long before you lose the wobble elsewhere!
Abdominoplasty is a surgical operation involving the removal of excess flesh from the abdomen.
Plastic surgery is a surgical procedure which helps to reconstruct or repair the parts of the body by transfer of tissues either in the injured parts or for cosmetic purposes.
The microdermabrasion procedure, also known as skin polishing, is considered to be a highly effective alternative to chemical peeling, dermabrasion, plastic surgery, and botox for treating acne.