What is mesotherapy?
Currently, there is a dearth of rigorous scientific studies to prove the safety and efficacy of Mesotherapy as a treatment for fat reduction. Mesotherapy, in fact, is used for a host of other issues, such as hair loss and pain management, among others.
Mesotherapy involves injecting microscopic quantities of a variety of pharmaceutical agents, extracts of plants, homeopathic agents, and vitamins into the mesoderm, which is the layer of fat and tissue beneath your skin.
Based on your specific requirement, the physician may select a custom formula to treat you.
There is also a no-needle mesotherapy procedure, which is totally non-invasive and uses ultrasound technology to push the ingredients under your skin.
There is no anesthesia involved, though it is provided on request on the areas to be treated.
The injected medicines break down the fatty cells, which the body naturally flushes out later as waste.
Mesotherapy can treat unwanted fat on the face, chin, neck, arms, waist, buttocks, thighs, and legs. It is also claimed that mesotherapy can treat wrinkles.
Are there any side effects of mesotherapy for fat reduction?
You may experience soreness, redness, bruising, and swelling on the treated areas after a mesotherapy session. These usually subside within a few days.
On rare occasions, there is also the risk of allergic reaction to the injected ingredients, which may be severe.
Are there any post-treatment guidelines after undergoing mesotherapy for fat reduction?
This treatment has no strict guidelines whatsoever.
How many sessions of mesotherapy will I need for fat reduction?
The number of treatments required varies from patient to patient, as it depends on the patient’s body. Some patients may see the results after one treatment session, for others it may take four to five sessions.
How long will it take to recover from a session of mesotherapy for fat reduction?
This procedure takes around 30 minutes and requires no preparation or recovery time.
You can rejoin work immediately after a session.
Am I an ideal candidate for mesotherapy for fat reduction?
You are an ideal candidate for mesotherapy if you are otherwise healthy and have pockets of bulging fat, which do not respond to exercise and proper diet.
Mesotherapy is not advisable for you if you:
- are obese
- have a history of cancer, thyroid problems, diabetes, heart disease, immune and circulatory system disorder
- have active implants such as a pacemaker, defibrillator, cochlear implant, or diabetic pump.
Non-needle mesotherapy is not advisable for epileptic patients and patients with active implants. It is also not effective for treating loose or hanging skin.
What is the price of mesotherapy for fat reduction in India?
The price of mesotherapy for fat reduction in India is Rs.3000 to Rs.8000 per session.
Are the results of mesotherapy for fat reduction permanent?
Results are considered to be permanent in the areas that have been treated. However, if you do not maintain your weight, chances are the fat will start accumulating in other areas which might not be very appealing.
A reasonable diet coupled with a consistent level of physical activity which includes exercising will guarantee permanent optimal results.
1. Mahmud K, Crutchfield CE, Lipodissolve for Body Sculpting Safety, Effectiveness, and Patient Satisfaction 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3486781/. Accessed March 1, 2018.
2. Wanitphakdeedecha R. Mycobacterium Abscessus Skin Infection Following Mesotherapy for Fat Reduction: A Case Report | Siriraj Medical Journal. Tci-thaijoorg. 2018. Available at: https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/sirirajmedj/article/view/64491. Accessed March 1, 2018.
3. Sivagnanam G. Mesotherapy - The French connection. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3142757/. Accessed March 1, 2018.
4. 12. DUNCAN D, HASENGSCHWANDTNER F. Lipodissolve for subcutaneous fat reduction and skin retraction. 2018. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/25/5/530/196438. Accessed March 1, 2018.
Ultrasound involves targeting fat cells in your body with low frequency sound waves.
Breast augmentation/enhancement surgery is a procedure which increases or restores the size of breasts using fillers such as silicone gel implants, saline implants, and in some cases through fat transfer.
Acne is a long-term skin condition that occurs when the sebaceous glands (oil-bearing glands) in the skin, due to reasons such as hormonal changes, start producing more sebum (oil), or gets clogged due to the accumulation of dead skin cells and oil.