In this article we will look at:
- How is abdominoplasty performed?
- Are there any side effects of abdominoplasty?
- Are there any post-treatment guidelines for abdominoplasty?
- How long will it take to recover from an abdominoplasty procedure?
- Am I an ideal candidate for abdominoplasty?
- What is the cost of abdominoplasty in India?
- Are the results of abdominoplasty permanent?
- More Fat Reduction Procedures
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
How is abdominoplasty performed?
During abdominoplasty, the doctor will administer general anesthesia and make an incision in your abdomen, usually from hip bone to hip bone. He will then remove any excess fat or skin from your abdomen.
Depending on your requirement you can go for a full abdominoplasty, which involves relocating your belly button and having drainage tubes placed beneath your skin for few days or mini abdominoplasty, if the fat accumulation is beneath your navel and requires a shorter incision. The surgery may last anywhere between one and a half hours to 4 hours.
Are there any side effects of abdominoplasty?
Some side-effects you risk experiencing after a tummy tuck surgery are:
- excessive bleeding
- blood clots
- accumulation of fluid
- changes in sensation
- excessive swelling
You may suffer from more side-effects if you have diabetes, liver-related or circulatory problems.
Are there any post-treatment guidelines for abdominoplasty?
Here are some guidelines to be followed by an abdominoplasty procedure:
- You may have drainage tubes placed under your skin for a couple of days, which would require being cleaned frequently.
- You should avoid all forms of strenuous activity, including stretching exercises for the first four weeks.
- You should avoid taking a shower till the time you have the drainage tubes attached to you.
- A compression garment will be provided to you which you must wear at all times for the first few weeks following the surgery.
How long will it take to recover from an abdominoplasty procedure?
The recovery period varies from individual to individual.
On the whole, it takes 6 to 8 weeks for a full recovery.
Am I an ideal candidate for abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty will especially provide visible results if:
- you are a woman who still has a protruding belly, long after delivering your baby
- if you are someone who has lost a lot of weight and now have an excess of loose hanging skin
To be an ideal candidate for abdominoplasty:
- you need to be of ideal weight before the surgery, and so you may be advised by your doctor to either lose weight or gain weight to achieve your ideal weight before the surgery.
- you should not be pregnant or nursing
- you should not suffer from serious medical conditions
- you should not be on blood thinners
- you should not have any active implants such as a pacemaker, cochlear implant, defibrillator, or diabetic pump
If you are a smoker you will be advised by the doctor to stop smoking at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
What is the cost of abdominoplasty in India?
The price of abdominoplasty in India is approximately Rs.193500.
Are the results of abdominoplasty permanent?
Results are considered to be permanent in the areas that have been treated. However, if you do not maintain your weight, chances are the fat will start accumulating in other areas, which might not be very appealing.
A reasonable diet coupled with a consistent level of physical activity which includes exercising will guarantee permanent optimal results.
More Fat Reduction Procedures
People interested in this topic also read:
- Fat Reduction Overview: Procedures, and Cost
- Types of Liposuction
1. Bhargava D. Abdominoplasty today. PubMed Central (PMC). 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2825125/. Accessed March 1, 2018.
2. Hensel, John M. MD; Lehman, James A. Jr MD; Tantri, M. Prasad MD; Parker, Michael G. MD; Wagner, Douglas S. MD; Topham, Neal S. MD. An Outcomes Analysis and Satisfaction Survey of 199 Consecutive Abdominoplasties: Annals of Plastic Surgery. LWW. 2018. Available at: https://journals.lww.com/annalsplasticsurgery/Abstract/2001/04000/An_Outcomes_Analysis_and_Satisfaction_Survey_of.1.aspx. Accessed March 1, 2018.
3.Neaman K, Hansen J. Analysis of Complications From Abdominoplasty. 2018. Available at: https://journals.lww.com/annalsplasticsurgery/Abstract/2007/03000/Analysis_of_Complications_From_Abdominoplasty__A.12.aspx. Accessed March 1, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Muscle building burns body fat
It is not possible to turn your body fat into muscle. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle—you can't magically turn one into the other by lifting weights or doing cardio. However, weight training is the easiest way to control the shape of your body. The more muscle you have, the more fat your body will burn.
Very low fat levels are not healthy
Fats are responsible for hormone production, joint lubrication, and many other important health and muscle-building factors. Having very low fat levels could compromise your health and your goals. Everyone's body and metabolism is unique, therefore it is crucial to know how many grams of healthy fat you need to eat for a balanced nutrition regimen.
Liposuction is a surgery, which removes fat from marked areas in the body
In Laser Skin Resurfacing treatment for acne a laser beam is used to dissolve damaged skin tissue, layer by layer, until a uniform and smooth skin texture is achieved.
Liposuction is a surgery, which removes fat from marked areas in the body.