In this article we will look at:
- What is liposuction?
- Are there any side effects of liposuction?
- Are there any post-treatment guidelines to be followed after undergoing liposuction?
- How long will it take to recover after a liposuction procedure?
- Am I an ideal candidate for liposuction?
- What is the price/cost of liposuction in India?
- Are the results of liposuction permanent?
- More Related Topics
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgery, which removes fat from marked areas in the body, such as:
- cheeks, chin, and neck
- upper arms
- abdomen and waist
- calves and ankles
At the outset, general or topical anaesthesia will be administered to you depending on the size of the area being treated on your body. Small incisions are made on the marked fat accumulated areas of your body, through which tubes or cannulae are inserted. The tubes are attached to a suction pump or syringe, using which the doctor suctions out the accumulated fat deposits.
Over the years liposuction has undergone many refinements, so now, there are several options you can choose from, depending on your particular requirements and comfort level.
To know more about the different types of liposuction please see Types of Liposuction.
Are there any side effects of liposuction?
The risks that you may face during or after a liposuction surgery include:
- feeling lightheaded after the surgery
- damage to internal organs
- embolism (a condition where fat loosened during liposuction enters blood vessels and may travel to the lungs or brain)
- persistent swelling
- fluid imbalance
- cardiac or pulmonary complications
- changes in skin sensation which may become permanent
Other side effects include:
- irregular menstrual cycle for ladies for a month or two. At times, this procedure may even be fatal, and in fact, there are numerous reports of death related to liposuction surgeries
It is, therefore, advisable to make an informed decision, by first discussing at length the pros and cons of any liposuction procedure with your doctor.
Are there any post-treatment guidelines to be followed after undergoing liposuction?
You will be advised to avoid any strenuous activities, including exercising, till 4 days after the surgery. You can expect the drainage of a large amount of blood-tinged fluid to occur, from the incisions site for the first 24 to 48 hours, during which period you will be provided with bulky absorbent pads to be worn over the treated areas, under compression garments. This is generally considered a good sign as it causes less bruising and swelling.
The incision areas have to be cleaned frequently. You will be given antibiotics which you need to take on time. You should avoid taking any kind of blood thinners. You should avoid applying ice-packs or bandages on the incision site, and also avoid soaking yourself in a swimming pool, jacuzzi or bathtub.
How long will it take to recover after a liposuction procedure?
The recovery time varies for different patients, depending on the size and location of the treated areas. Most of the patients rejoin work in two to three days time. Some patients require 5 - 7 days to recover. The swelling may, however, last for a month or two.
Complete healing usually takes 6 months.
Am I an ideal candidate for liposuction?
If you have good skin elasticity and within 30% of your ideal weight, and do not suffer from life-threatening diseases or serious medical conditions, and have heavy accumulated fat deposits in your body, which do not respond to a proper diet or exercise, then you are an ideal candidate for liposuction.
What is the price/cost of liposuction in India?
The price of liposuction in India is between Rs.50000 to Rs.125000.
Are the results of liposuction permanent?
Results are considered to be permanent in the areas that have been treated. However, if you do not maintain your weight, chances are the fat will start accumulating again in other areas which might not be very appealing.
A reasonable diet coupled with a consistent level of physical activity which includes exercising will guarantee permanent optimal results.
More Related Topics
People interested in this topic also see:
- Fat Reduction Overview: Procedures, and Cost
1. Stephan P, Kenkel J. Updates and Advances in Liposuction. 2018. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/30/1/83/199871. Accessed March 1, 2018.
2. Venkataram J. Tumescent liposuction: A review. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840906/. Accessed March 1, 2018.
3. Rama B. Rao, M.D., Susan F. Ely, M.D., M.P.H.T.M., and Robert S. Hoffman, M.D. Deaths Related to Liposuction. 2018. Available at: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199905133401904. Accessed March 1, 2018.
4. RH G. Fatal outcomes from liposuction: census survey of cosmetic surgeons. - PubMed - NCBI. Ncbinlmnihgov. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10627013. Accessed March 1, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Muscle building burns body fat
It is not possible to turn your body fat into muscle. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle—you can't magically turn one into the other by lifting weights or doing cardio. However, weight training is the easiest way to control the shape of your body. The more muscle you have, the more fat your body will burn.
Very low fat levels are not healthy
Fats are responsible for hormone production, joint lubrication, and many other important health and muscle-building factors. Having very low fat levels could compromise your health and your goals. Everyone's body and metabolism is unique, therefore it is crucial to know how many grams of healthy fat you need to eat for a balanced nutrition regimen.
Breasts are composed entirely of fats
Female breasts are composed almost entirely of fat which is one reason why, when dieting, they tend to reduce in size long before you lose the wobble elsewhere!
A breast implant procedure involves inserting silicon, gummy bear, or saline breast implants to enhance the size of existing breasts or to reconstruct breasts for women who had suffered from breast cancer.
Ultrasound involves targeting fat cells in your body with low frequency sound waves.
Fat reduction is the reduction of stored body fat.