In this article we will look at:
- What is chemical peel?
- What happens during a chemical peel procedure?
- Will the chemical peel suit my skin type?
- Are there any side effects of chemical peeling?
- Are there any post-treatment guidelines for the chemical peel procedure?
- How long will it take to recover from a chemical peel session?
- Am I an ideal candidate for the chemical peel procedure?
- What is the price/cost of a chemical peel procedure in India?
- Are the results of chemical peel treatment permanent?
- More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
What is chemical peel?
A chemical peel is an acidic solution, which is applied to the affected parts of your skin. On penetrating the skin, the solution destroys dead skin, unclogs pores and makes way for new skin to regenerate. The acne blemishes and scars disappear. There are three basic types of peels:
- Superficial Peels: which is a mild peel and can be used on all skin types.
- Medium Peels: can penetrate a little deeper into your skin. Medium peels are also known to cause second degree burns on the skin.
- Deep Peels: penetrate further into the deeper layers of the skin and are also known to cause second-degree burns. A deep peel is not suitable for people with dark skin tone as it can lead to hypopigmentation. A deep peel can be performed only once.
What happens during a chemical peel procedure?
The chemical peel process is quite simple:
- At the outset, the doctor cleanses your skin.
- He/she then applies the solution comprising the chemical peel on your skin, using a soft brush.
- The solution is left on your skin for approximately 10 minutes.
- Thereafter, the doctor applies a neutralizer on your skin to end the chemical reaction of the solution on your skin.
- Application of the neutralizer is followed by a cold compress, which is applied to reduce the discomfort on your skin. (A hand-held fan may also be used to minimize the burning feeling on your skin.)
- The doctor then applies a cream or a mask on your skin again and leaves it on your face for a few minutes
- Finally, the doctor cleanses your skin.
The duration of the entire process is around 20-30 minutes.
Will the chemical peel suit my skin type?
There are various types of chemical peels available, such as Salicylic Acid peel, Glycolic Acid Peel, TCA (Trichloroacetic acid) Peel, Phenol Peel and Fruit Acid Peel.
The chemical peel most suitable for you is determined on the basis of your skin texture, type, problems, and many other similar aspects.
Are there any side effects of chemical peeling?
Some side effects you may experience as a result of chemical peeling include redness, dryness, discolouration, peeling, flaking, or scaling of the skin and even swelling of the face to the point that your eyes are temporarily shut. Temporary scabs or crusts may appear on the treated areas.
Are there any post-treatment guidelines for the chemical peel procedure?
After undergoing a chemical peeling treatment it is advisable not to venture out under the sun for a couple of days. Once you completely recover and decide to go out, it is advisable to use a sunscreen with high SPF, preferably above 30.
How long will it take to recover from a chemical peel session?
If it is a medium chemical peel it will take 3-7 days for the new skin to appear. The skin will be completely healed after two weeks.
In cases of deep chemical peels, the new skin will appear 7-10 days after the treatment. It will take around two months for complete healing to take place.
Am I an ideal candidate for the chemical peel procedure?
This treatment is not for you if you are breastfeeding or are pregnant. This treatment is also not for you if you suffer from severe active acne.
You are an ideal candidate for chemical peel treatments if you suffer from superficial acne or acne scars, and have a fair skin.
What is the price/cost of a chemical peel procedure in India?
Cost of Chemical Peel can vary significantly depending upon the city/locality, clinic/hospital type & amenities, experience of the provider, the technology & material used, skin area and skin type, the number of sittings etc. Typically, the cost of Chemical Peel may range from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 8,000 per session.
Please consult your doctor to get the exact treatment plan and price quote suiting your unique needs.
Are the results of chemical peel treatment permanent?
Results are not considered to be permanent. Acne may disappear for few months or years and may re-appear.
More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
People interested in this topic also read:
- Acne Procedures Overview
- Chemical Peel
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Acne: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
1. Rendon M, Berson DS, Cohen JL, Roberts WE, Starker I, Wang B, Evidence and Considerations in the Application of Chemical Peels in Skin Disorders and Aesthetic Resurfacing. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921757/. Accessed March 2, 2018.
2. Khunger N. Standard guidelines of care for chemical peels. Ijdvlcom. 2018. Available at: http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?issn=0378-6323;year=2008;volume=74;issue=7;spage=5;epage=12;aulast=Khunger. Accessed March 2, 2018.
3.O'Connor A, Lowe P, Shumack S, Lim A. Chemical peels: A review of current practice. 2018. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ajd.12715/abstract. Accessed March 2, 2018.
4. Costa I, Damasceno P, Gomes K. Managing Chemical Peels Complications. 2018. Available at: https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-3-319-16805-0_17. Accessed March 2, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Foods do not cause breakouts
Chocolates do not cause pimples or acne, neither does pizza or fries. In fact, there's little evidence that specific foods actually do cause acne. Staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet, though, can help definitely result in a clear, glowing skin.
Sun exposure can minimize breakouts
Spending small amounts of time (10 to 20 minutes) in the sun can be beneficial for healing acne. Too much sun exposure though can be harmful. It can cause more breakouts and darken existing acne scars.
Do not overclean
Over exfoliating and over cleansing can actually aggravate your acne problems. It can irritate and dry your skin out, and make it produce more oil and then cause breakouts. Overdoing acne treatments can have the same effect. Therefore, stick to a morning and night regimen — cleanse, medicate, and moisturize.
In Laser Skin Resurfacing treatment for acne a laser beam is used to dissolve damaged skin tissue, layer by layer, until a uniform and smooth skin texture is achieved.
Cryolipolysis is a procedure, which is acclaimed to be very safe and uses cooling technology to freeze the stubborn fat in your body.
Liposuction is a surgery, which removes fat from marked areas in the body.