In this article we will look at:
- What is microdermabrasion?
- What happens during a microdermabrasion procedure?
- Are there any side effects of microdermabrasion?
- Are there any post-treatment guidelines for microdermabrasion?
- How many sessions will I need for microdermabrasion?
- How long will it take to recover from microdermabrasion?
- Am I an ideal candidate for microdermabrasion?
- What is the price/cost of microdermabrasion in India?
- Are the results of microdermabrasion permanent?
- More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
What is microdermabrasion?
An import from Hollywood, the microdermabrasion process, also known as skin polishing, is considered to be a highly effective alternative to chemical peeling, dermabrasion, plastic surgery, and botox. In fact, this procedure can be best described as plastic surgery minus the plastic or the surgery!
It is a non-surgical, non-invasive and a non-chemical procedure, that involves spraying microcrystals or grains, such as aluminum oxide, magnesium oxide, sodium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate to abrade and exfoliate the upper dead layer of your skin, to reveal a youthful, fresh, and healthier skin.
What happens during a microdermabrasion procedure?
The microdermabrasion procedure involves the following steps:
- Using a deep cleansing, soothing gel or foam the doctor cleanses your skin at the outset to remove the makeup, dust, impurities and natural oils.
- The areas to be treated are marked on your skin.
- Depending on your condition, the doctor may administer a required amount of anesthesia. Very often though anesthesia is not required, however, the skin is stretched to provide some tension so that the dead skin can be effectively scraped off.
- Using a handpiece, or a microdermabrasion system, held against the skin, the doctor then directs a stream of micro aluminum oxide crystals which exfoliates the skin. The suction created by the handpiece removes the skin debris and crystals.
- A nourishing sun blocking cream is applied on your skin after the microdermabrasion is over.
The entire process can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes.
Are there any side effects of microdermabrasion?
The risks you may face after undergoing this procedure include temporary skin discoloration, peeling, blistering, and scarring. You may suffer from infections, scabbing or blistering if you fail to follow the post-treatment guidelines.
Are there any post-treatment guidelines for microdermabrasion?
You will need to cleanse your skin frequently and apply the prescribed ointment, or moisturizer. You need to avoid the direct sun for at least 7 days. If you cannot avoid the sun you need to use a sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher.
How many sessions will I need for microdermabrasion?
You may need multiple treatments ranging from 6 – 12 sessions, which may last from 20 minutes to 1 hour to see significant improvement in your skin texture. Treatments are usually given one to two weeks apart.
How long will it take to recover from microdermabrasion?
After a microdermabrasion session, the skin usually takes 2-3 days to completely heal. Infact, an advantage of undergoing this procedure is the quick recovery time, making this treatment an ideal option for you, if you cannot take time off from work.
Am I an ideal candidate for microdermabrasion?
If you have deep acne scars then this is not an effective treatment option for you. The procedure is rather akin to brushing your teeth to remove plaque.
Microdermabrasion can efficiently remove dried and shallow acne marks. It can also effectively treat skin pigmentation, hyperpigmentation, age spots, blackheads and light stretch marks.
You are an ideal candidate for this procedure if you have a sensitive skin and suffer from issues such as acne marks, wrinkles, age spots, uneven skin pigmentation, clogged pores and minor scars.
What is the price/cost of microdermabrasion in India?
Cost of Root Canal Treatment can vary depending upon the city/locality, clinic/hospital type, experience of the provider, technology & material used, skin area and skin type etc. Typically, the cost of microdermabrasion session may range between Rs. 1500 to Rs. 5000.
Please consult your doctor to get the exact treatment plan and price quote suiting your unique needs.
Are the results of microdermabrasion permanent?
Results are not considered to be permanent. Acne may disappear for few months or years and may re-appear.
More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
People interested in this topic also read:
- Acne Procedures Overview
- Chemical Peel
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Acne: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
1. Arora S, A Study of Efficacy of Microdermabrasion in Treatment of Facial Acne Scars. Renupublisherscom. 2018. Available at: http://www.renupublishers.com/images/article/144072008404_IJDMS_1(2)_02_OA.pdf. Accessed March 2, 2018.
2. Lloyd J. The Use of Microdermabrasion for Acne: A Pilot Study. 2018. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1524-4725.2001.00313.x/full. Accessed March 2, 2018.
3. Freedman B, Rueda-Pedraza E, Waddell S. The Epidermal and Dermal Changes Associated with Microdermabrasion. 2018. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1524-4725.2001.01031.x/full. Accessed March 2, 2018.
4. Shim E, Barnette D, Hughes K, Greenway H. Microdermabrasion: A Clinical and Histopathologic Study. 2018. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1524-4725.2001.01001.x/full. Accessed March 2, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Foods do not cause breakouts
Chocolates do not cause pimples or acne, neither does pizza or fries. In fact, there's little evidence that specific foods actually do cause acne. Staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet, though, can help definitely result in a clear, glowing skin.
Sun exposure can minimize breakouts
Spending small amounts of time (10 to 20 minutes) in the sun can be beneficial for healing acne. Too much sun exposure though can be harmful. It can cause more breakouts and darken existing acne scars.
Do not overclean
Over exfoliating and over cleansing can actually aggravate your acne problems. It can irritate and dry your skin out, and make it produce more oil and then cause breakouts. Overdoing acne treatments can have the same effect. Therefore, stick to a morning and night regimen — cleanse, medicate, and moisturize.
Fat transfer breast enhancement/augmentation uses the liposuction procedure to take fat from other parts of your body and inject it into your breasts to enhance their size.
A breast implant procedure involves inserting silicon, gummy bear, or saline breast implants to enhance the size of existing breasts or to reconstruct breasts for women who had suffered from breast cancer.
Cryolipolysis is a procedure, which is acclaimed to be very safe and uses cooling technology to freeze the stubborn fat in your body.