In this article we will look at:
- What is laser skin resurfacing?
- How is laser skin resurfacing performed?
- Are there any side effects of laser skin resurfacing?
- Are there any pre-treatment guidelines for laser skin resurfacing?
- Are there any post-treatment guidelines for laser skin resurfacing?
- How many sessions of laser skin resurfacing will I need?
- How long will it take to recover from a laser skin resurfacing treatment?
- Am I an ideal candidate for laser skin resurfacing treatment?
- What is the price/cost of laser skin resurfacing in India?
- Are the results of laser skin resurfacing permanent?
- More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
What is laser skin resurfacing?
Laser Skin Resurfacing is an outpatient process performed by a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.
There are three different kinds of Laser Skin Resurfacing treatment:
- Ablative laser resurfacing, in which a high powered laser beam is used to remove the top layer of the affected skin.
- Fractionated laser resurfacing which involves focusing tiny beams of light on the affected skin which penetrates deeply and breaks down old and damaged skin cells while stimulating the production of collagen.
- Non-ablative laser resurfacing involves using infrared rays to heat the inner layers of the skin. This promotes collagen production and also the creation of fresh skin cells.
How is laser skin resurfacing performed?
In this procedure a laser beam is used to dissolve damaged skin tissue, layer by layer, until a uniform and smooth skin texture is achieved. The doctor may choose to treat your entire face, or alternatively, treat individual affected areas such as wrinkles near the mouth or eyes.
The following steps are involved in the procedure:
- Your face is cleansed using a solution at the outset, and your eyes are covered.
- The doctor administers a topical anaesthetic to numb the individual areas on your skin, marked for treatment. If your entire face is getting treated, the doctor will use general anaesthesia.
- A laser beam is then directed to the affected areas of your skin, which burns away the outer layer of the skin (epidermis) and heats up the underlying layer of the skin forcing the collagen to shrink
Are there any side effects of laser skin resurfacing?
Be forewarned, that after undergoing this procedure you may experience some unpleasant side effects such as facial swelling, scarring, pigmentation, reactivating cold sores, burning and itching sensation, temporary discolouration, and minor bumps.
It is therefore advisable to first consult a qualified professional dermatologist or a plastic surgeon, to find out if this treatment is suitable for your particular skin condition.
Are there any pre-treatment guidelines for laser skin resurfacing?
The doctor may ask you to refrain from taking certain medicines, supplements, and vitamins at least 10 days before the procedure. If you smoke, you will be asked to stop smoking at least two weeks before the procedure as it can affect your recovery. Depending on your medical condition, the doctor may give you antibiotics prior to the treatment to prevent any infection.
Are there any post-treatment guidelines for laser skin resurfacing?
Post the surgery you need to clean the treated areas of the skin 4 to 5 times a day and apply ointment to prevent scabs from forming on your skin. It is best to avoid venturing out under the direct sun, and if you do, it is advisable to apply a sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher, to protect the skin against the UVA and UVB rays of the sun.
How many sessions of laser skin resurfacing will I need?
It has been observed that going for at least three to six sessions of laser skin resurfacing treatment produces optimal results.
How long will it take to recover from a laser skin resurfacing treatment?
For moderate resurfacing treatments the recovery time usually is between 4-7 days.
Recovery after deeper resurfacing treatments may take 2 weeks or a month.
Am I an ideal candidate for laser skin resurfacing treatment?
This procedure will be ideal for you if you have scars, warts, birthmarks, or facial scarring due to injury or surgery.
This method has also been used to treat skin cancer in its earliest stages.
You will benefit the most from this procedure if you have a light skin tone and an elastic and non-oily skin since there will be less chance of skin discolouration.
This procedure is not suitable for you if you are pregnant, or if you have consumed any oral medication for acne in the past one year. It is also not suitable for you if you suffer from immune system disorders, cold sores, active pus-filled acne, connective tissue disorders, and other medical considerations, including taking prescription medicines. It is advisable to discuss your medical history at length with your doctor before undergoing Laser Skin Resurfacing treatment.
What is the price/cost of laser skin resurfacing in India?
An LSR session costs approximately Rs. 1500 per session in India.
Are the results of laser skin resurfacing permanent?
Results are not considered to be permanent. Acne may disappear for few months or years and may re-appear.
More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
People interested in this topic also read:
- Acne Procedures Overview
- Chemical Peel
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Acne: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
1. Spandau D, Loesch M, Somani A, Kingsley M, Travers J. Skin resurfacing procedures: new and emerging options. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4155739/. Accessed March 2, 2018.
2. Preissig J, Hamilton K, Markus R, Current Laser Resurfacing Technologies: A Review that Delves Beneath the Surface. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580982/. Accessed March 2, 2018.
3. Narurkar V, Alster T, Bernstein E, Lin T, Loncaric A. Safety and Efficacy of a 1550nm/1927nm Dual Wavelength Laser for the Treatment of Photodamaged Skin. Europepmcorg. 2018. Available at: http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/29320586. Accessed March 2, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Foods do not cause breakouts
Chocolates do not cause pimples or acne, neither does pizza or fries. In fact, there's little evidence that specific foods actually do cause acne. Staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet, though, can help definitely result in a clear, glowing skin.
Sun exposure can minimize breakouts
Spending small amounts of time (10 to 20 minutes) in the sun can be beneficial for healing acne. Too much sun exposure though can be harmful. It can cause more breakouts and darken existing acne scars.
Do not overclean
Over exfoliating and over cleansing can actually aggravate your acne problems. It can irritate and dry your skin out, and make it produce more oil and then cause breakouts. Overdoing acne treatments can have the same effect. Therefore, stick to a morning and night regimen — cleanse, medicate, and moisturize.
Breast augmentation/enhancement surgery is a procedure which increases or restores the size of breasts using fillers such as silicone gel implants, saline implants, and in some cases through fat transfer.
Acne is a long-term skin condition that occurs when the sebaceous glands (oil-bearing glands) in the skin, due to reasons such as hormonal changes, start producing more sebum (oil), or gets clogged due to the accumulation of dead skin cells and oil.
Mesotherapy involves injecting microscopic quantities of a variety of pharmaceutical agents, extracts of plants, homeopathic agents, and vitamins into the mesoderm, which is the layer of fat and tissue beneath your skin.