In this article we will look at:
- What is dermabrasion?
- What happens during a dermabrasion procedure?
- Are there any side effects of dermabrasion?
- Are there any post-treatment guidelines for dermabrasion?
- How long will it take to recover from a dermabrasion procedure?
- Am I an ideal candidate for dermabrasion?
- What is the price/cost of dermabrasion in India?
- Are the results of dermabrasion permanent?
- More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
You can click on any of the links above to navigate to the section of your interest.
What is dermabrasion?
A century-old mechanical method of getting rid of acne scars, dermabrasion is an outpatient surgical process. It is performed by a professional medical doctor and involves controlled abrasion or removal of your upper to the mid-layer skin, depending on the size and depth of the affected areas.
What happens during a dermabrasion procedure?
Following are the steps involved in the dermabrasion process:
- Using a deep cleansing, soothing gel or foam the doctor cleanses your skin at the outset to remove the makeup, dust, impurities and natural oils.
- The areas to be treated are marked on your skin. (The advantage dermabrasion has over chemical peeling is that it can be performed on a smaller skin area.)
- Depending on your condition the doctor administers the required amount of anaesthesia.
- Using either a diamond wheel, or a wire brush, or a sterilized sandpaper, or salt crystals the doctor then removes the upper layer and even the mid layer of your skin (if your condition requires it).
- After the skin from the affected areas is removed, an ointment is applied to prevent any kind of infection.
- The doctor then dresses your face with a moist, non-stick dressing.
The procedure can take anywhere between 20 minutes – 60 minutes.
Are there any side effects of dermabrasion?
Some temporary side effects that you may face after undergoing dermabrasion include, redness and swelling, milia, enlarged pores, and discolouration of the skin.
The wounds that form during dermabrasion are relatively painless, as long as you stick to a strict post-surgery care regimen of changing the dressing, applying sunscreen, and keeping the skin clean and moist to prevent scabbing.
Failing to follow post-surgery care regimen may expose you to the risk of infections, allergies or scarring if the dermabrasion you undergo is too deep. These conditions, however, are treatable, though, prevention is always better than cure!
Are there any post-treatment guidelines for dermabrasion?
You will be asked to cleanse your skin many times a day and apply ointment or change the dressing and avoid exposure to the sun for a couple of days. Once the new skin appears you need to use a sunscreen of 30 SPF or above to protect your skin when you venture out in the sun.
How long will it take to recover from a dermabrasion procedure?
The new skin growth occurs after a period of 5 – 8 days, post which, you need to visit your doctor for a repeat check-up.
Am I an ideal candidate for dermabrasion?
You can opt for dermabrasion if you haven’t consumed any oral medication for acne in the past one year, do not have diabetes, pus-filled active acne, herpes, immune disorder, blistering burn scars or any other active skin infections and conditions. This process is also not for you if you have recently undergone a facelift or brow lift, or are pregnant and nursing.
You are an ideal candidate for dermabrasion if you have nearly dried or flat acne scars.
What is the price/cost of dermabrasion in India?
A session of dermabrasion will cost approximately Rs. 85000 in India.
Are the results of dermabrasion permanent?
Results are not considered to be permanent. Acne may disappear for few months or years and may re-appear.
More Topics Related to Acne Treatment
People interested in this topic also read:
- Acne Procedures Overview
- Chemical Peel
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Acne: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
1. Aronsson A, Eriksson T, Jacobsson S, Salemark L. Effects of dermabrasion on acne scarring. A review and a study of 25 cases. Europepmcorg. 2018. Available at: http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/9059675. Accessed March 2, 2018.
2. Yu P, Diao W, Qi Z, Cai J. Effect of Dermabrasion and ReCell® on Large Superficial Facial Scars Caused by Burn, Trauma and Acnes. 2018. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1001929416300475. Accessed March 2, 2018.
3. Lynch S A, Schwarz KA. Dermabrasion - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics. Sciencedirectcom. 2018. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/dermabrasion. Accessed March 2, 2018.
Questions answered by trusted doctors
Did you know?
Foods do not cause breakouts
Chocolates do not cause pimples or acne, neither does pizza or fries. In fact, there's little evidence that specific foods actually do cause acne. Staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet, though, can help definitely result in a clear, glowing skin.
Sun exposure can minimize breakouts
Spending small amounts of time (10 to 20 minutes) in the sun can be beneficial for healing acne. Too much sun exposure though can be harmful. It can cause more breakouts and darken existing acne scars.
Do not overclean
Over exfoliating and over cleansing can actually aggravate your acne problems. It can irritate and dry your skin out, and make it produce more oil and then cause breakouts. Overdoing acne treatments can have the same effect. Therefore, stick to a morning and night regimen — cleanse, medicate, and moisturize.
Abdominoplasty is a surgical operation involving the removal of excess flesh from the abdomen.
Ultrasound involves targeting fat cells in your body with low frequency sound waves.
A breast implant procedure involves inserting silicon, gummy bear, or saline breast implants to enhance the size of existing breasts or to reconstruct breasts for women who had suffered from breast cancer.