Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Spine Surgery?
Spinal Surgery is a surgical method that treats the broken or damaged spine and helps to restore the function of the spine. There are different types of methods in performing Spine Surgery and they are as follows:
- Disc replacement
- Discectomy or Microdiscectomy
- Laminectomy or Laminotomy
- Spinal or Vertebral fusion
What are the uses of Spine Surgery?
Following are the uses of Spine Surgery:
- Less painful
- Early recovery from the surgery
- Decreases damage to the muscles and soft tissues
- Restores the functions of the spine
In what conditions Spine Surgery is indicated?
Indications of Spine Surgery are the following:
- Annular tear
- Transitional vertebra
- Non-dysraphic tethered cord
- Latrogenic cascade
- Degenerative spondylosis
- ThesisIsthmic spondylolisthesis
- Conus syndrome
- Spinal stenosis or tumors
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
How a patient should prepare for Spine Surgery?
- Should discuss all the risks, complications, and benefits of Spine Surgery with the doctor.
- A few hours prior to the surgery, the patient should not eat or drink anything.
- Inform the doctor about the past and present medications and medical history.
- The patient should undergo a few lab tests suggested by the doctor.
- The doctor may evaluate and check the patient's health condition.
- Before the surgery, the patient should sign a consent form.
What can be done after Spine Surgery?
- Take the prescribed medications as directed by the doctor.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and bending down for at least 4-6 months.
- Consult the doctor if fever, pain, and swelling are present even after the surgery.
Who can perform Spine Surgery?
Spine Surgery can be performed by:
- Orthopedic surgeon
What is the price of Spine Surgery in Gurgaon?
Price of Spine Surgery in Gurgaon may vary due to the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Type of hospital
- Surgeon fee
- Medical condition of the patient
- Type of implants used
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
- Admission fee
Minimum amount to be paid in Gurgaon starts from Rs. 84,000.
Average expenses in Gurgaon is approximately Rs. 1,65,000.
Maximum charges in Gurgaon rise up to Rs. 2,70,000.
Whether Spine Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Spine Surgery may be a major surgery as it involves removing or repairing the damaged spine.
Who are eligible to undergo Spine Surgery?
Eligible candidates for Spine Surgery are:
- Individuals with a herniated disc
- People suffering from severe back pain due to spine damage
- People with a fractured spine due to accident
- Individuals with a deformed spine
- People with spinal nerve damage
- Patients suffering from sciatica
Who are ineligible to undergo Spine Surgery?
Ineligible candidates for Spine Surgery are:
- People whose age is above 70 years
- Individuals who are pregnant
- Patients who are currently undergoing chemotherapy
- Individuals who are allergic to anesthesia
What can be the complications and risks associated with Spine Surgery?
Complications and risks associated with Spine Surgery are:
- Blood loss from the incision area
- Blood clots
- Injury to the spine nerves
- Chances of infection
How long does Spine Surgery take to complete?
Spine Surgery may take about 40 to 90 minutes to complete.
How much time does a patient take to recover from Spine Surgery?
The patient may take almost 24 to 48 hours to recover from Spine Surgery.
What is the success rate of Spine Surgery?
The success rate of Spine Surgery is determined by factors such as:
- Type of surgery performed
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Patient age
However, the success rate of Spine Surgery maybe around 96%
Does Spine Surgery cause pain?
Due to the anesthetic effect, the patient does not feel pain during the surgery.
Is Spine Surgery a permanent surgery?
Spine surgery is a permanent procedure as it repairs or replaces the damaged part of the spine.
What can be the long-term effects of Spine Surgery?
- Improvement in the functions of the spine
- Decreases the symptoms like sciatica pain
Can Spine Surgery be detected in future?
Spine surgery may be detected in the future as small scars will be present at the site of the surgery.
What can be done after Spine Surgery failure?
If Spine Surgery is not successful, then the doctor may suggest undergoing revision surgery.
What are other options for Spine Surgery?
Other options for Spine Surgery are the following:
- Spinal manipulations
- Annuloplasty or Intradiscal electrothermal coagulation procedure
- Non–Invasive spinal decompression
- Regular exercise or yoga
- Back strengthening exercises