Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Spine Surgery?
Spinal Surgery is a surgical method which repairs or replaces the diseased or damaged spine and helps in restoring its functions. There are different types of methods in performing Spine Surgery and they are as follows:
- Spinal or Vertebral fusion
- Laminectomy or Laminotomy
- Discectomy or Microdiscectomy
- Disc replacement
What can be the advantages of Spine Surgery?
Advantages of Spine Surgery are the following:
- Early recovery from the surgery
- Decreases damage to the muscles and soft tissues
- Restores the functions of the spine
- Less painful
What are the indications of Spine Surgery?
Indications of Spine Surgery are the following:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Conus syndrome
- Spinal stenosis or tumors
- ThesisIsthmic spondylolisthesis
- Transitional vertebra
- Degenerative spondylosis
- Annular tear
- Non-dysraphic tethered cord
- Latrogenic cascade
What is the preparation for Spine Surgery?
- A few hours prior to the surgery, the patient should not eat or drink anything.
- About the risks, complications, and uses of Spine Surgery should be discussed with the doctor.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medications history to the doctor.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations.
- The medical condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing Spine Surgery.
- The patient should sign a consent form before undergoing this surgery.
What is the post-surgery/procedure care taken for patients?
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and bending down for at least 4-6 months.
- Consult the doctor if fever, pain, and swelling are present even after the surgery.
- Take the prescribed medications as directed by the doctor.
Doctors from which speciality can perform this Spine Surgery?
Spine Surgery may be performed by
- Orthopedic surgeon
What is the price of Spine Surgery in Chennai?
Expenses for Spine Surgery in Chennai changes due to the following factors:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Surgeon's fee
- Type of implants used
- Admission fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
Minimum amount to be paid in Chennai starts from Rs. 60,000
Average charges in Chennai is approximately Rs. 1,35,890
Maximum cost in Chennai rises up to Rs. 2,50,000
Whether Spine Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Spine Surgery may be a major surgery as it involves removing or repairing the damaged spine.
What is the eligibility criteria for Spine Surgery?
- People suffering from severe back pain due to spine damage
- Individuals with a herniated disc
- People with spinal nerve damage
- People with a fractured spine due to accident
- Individuals with a deformed spine
- Patients suffering from sciatica
What is the ineligibility criteria for Spine Surgery?
- Individuals who are pregnant
- People whose age is above 70 years
- Patients who are currently undergoing chemotherapy
- Individuals who are allergic to anesthesia
What are the risks and complications of Spine Surgery?
Spine Surgery has the following risks and complications:
- Blood clots
- Blood loss from the incision area
- Injury to the spine nerves
- Chances of infection
How much time does it take to complete Spine Surgery?
Spine Surgery may take about 40 to 90 minutes to complete.
What is the recovery time from Spine Surgery?
The patient may take almost 24 to 48 hours to recover from Spine Surgery.
What is the success rate of Spine Surgery?
A few factors may determine the success rate of Spine Surgery and they are:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Patient age
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Spine Surgery maybe around 96%
Does Spine Surgery hurt the patient?
Due to the anesthetic effect, the patient does not get hurt during the surgery.
Is Spine Surgery a permanent surgery?
Spine surgery is a permanent procedure as it repairs or replaces the damaged part of the spine.
What can be the long-term effects of Spine Surgery?
- Decreases the symptoms like sciatica pain
- Improvement in the functions of the spine
Is it possible to be detected in the future?
Spine surgery may be detected in the future as small scars will be present at the site of the surgery.
What measures can be taken if Spine Surgery fails?
If Spine Surgery is not successful, then the doctor may suggest undergoing revision surgery.
Are there any alternatives to Spine Surgery?
Alternatives for Spine Surgery are:
- Annuloplasty or Intradiscal electrothermal coagulation procedure
- Back strengthening exercises
- Spinal manipulations
- Regular exercise or yoga
- Non–invasive spinal decompression