Work stress depression
My husband just joined a reputed company but he is unable to cope up with the people. Moreover, he's put into a field of work where he has no background and is not given any training. He has been trying other jobs but nothing is clicking. All the rejections and work pressure is taking a toll on his mental health and is always angry or extremely depressed. How to help him gain back his confidence? He interprets every incident negatively and Monday to Friday is a disastrous journey for me to try to keep him calm. When he is at home during weekends he is normal but when it is time for office he gets really upset. He is showing signs of depression and nervous breakdown. Please help

Dr. Santanu Nath
Biological Psychiatrist 4 yrs exp Kolkata

I Appreciate your concern for your husband. The symptoms that you have mentioned above following the recent change in workplace situations (a stressor for your husband) has prompted me to think in the line of a provisional diagnosis of ADJUSTMENT DISORDER...Now, if this situation lingers for long and he is incapable to make himself comfortable in this workplace condition then I fear he may be having subtle degree of Depressive disorder in future. I would suggest you to take your husband to a psychiatrist who may give your problem a compassionate listening. At present he needs counselling that should focus on how to tackle such type of harsh workplace situation, how to enrich family harmony etc....he might also need a small dose of antidepressant + antianxiety medication...meanwhile please tell him to engage in games, gossips with friends etc....
Ms. Hema Sampath
Clinical Psychologist 11 yrs exp Bangalore

I think he needs to consult for his emotional support with a Counsellor.  Sometimes ,  even  though you may feel that you are so conserved and caring about him could also affect him as he is not able to disclose or discuss  even with you.
Visiting a Psychologist and sharing his emotions to them might give him some clarity to handle his his routines and about his future plans.
Dr. Prabhakar Korada
Psychiatrist 22 yrs exp Hyderabad

Well, you already know what his problem is. You may be right in saying that he is getting into depression. I would advice you to take him to a psychiatrist and discuss the matter. Meanwhile both of you should realize the importance of Pranayama, meditation, yoga or some games(shuttle, tennis, swimming etc) to learn to cope with stress. Every job nowadays carries significant amount of stress. Coping with stress should be an ongoing lifelong process. Regular practice of Pranayama and meditation along with exercise (atleast daily walks) should not be ignored.