What am I suffering from?

I went through a period of extreme stress, and started feeling detached from everything around me, and everyone around me. Almost as if I were in a dream or something. For the past few days, I am feeling scared and startled by everything that makes a noise. The sound of a bird chirping, a fan moving, everyday sounds are unbearable. I get scared by cars and trucks moving around- for no reason!!! What is happening to me?

Doctor Answers (1) on What am I suffering from?

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello, the symptoms triggered by stress seem to be indicate of phenomenon known to psychiatrists as "derealization and depersonalization." Which are characterized by feeling as if the things around you are unreal or feelings of self as unreal. However noise intolerance as you have described here needs to be assessed in details it may be indicative of mood disorder like depression, may be associated with headache (migraine), may be a marker of anxiety, or even of impending psychosis. Therefore it would be very important for you to seek a psychiatric assessment at the earliest so that you can be helped. My suggestion is to jot delay the consultation by too much time and seek consultation within next week or next few days itself..
Hope this helps you..