Want to conceive
Doctor Answers (1) on Want to conceive
Thank you for the query regarding conception. I understand that a difficulty in conception may cause worry, but most healthy young couples at your age conceive spontaneously within 1 year (85 percent) and 2 years (95 percent). All investigation for subfertility should begin ideally 1 year after trying naturally, not since date of marriage.
One single Miscarriage does not adversely affect your chance of future pregnancy and it would be good to start trying 4-6 weeks after. The spotting you perceived in the cycle may occur after a Miscarriage so do not worry. However I do need to know if any surgical procedure was carried out previously. There is roughly a 15-20 percent chance of conceiving per menstrual cycle. Certain simple measures should increase your chance of conception.
1. Start preconceptional folic acid tablets(400ug), 1 tablet to be taken once daily till conception to be continued in the first trimester of pregnancy.
2. Check your blood group, inform if it is Rh negative.
3. Have regular intercourse every 2-3 days, the chance of maximum fertility is on the 14 th day in a 28 day menstrual cycle, but timed intercourse has not shown to have superior conception rates.
4. Go on a vacation, relax. Studies show that reducing stress increases chances of conception.
5. Eat a healthy balanced diet, if overweight try to get between the BMI of 20-24, weight loss increases chance of conception.
6. Try to reduce alcohol and tobacco use in both partners as smoking cessation increases spermcount.
7. If you are suffering from any chronic disorders it is a good idea to attend an preconceptional counselling with an Obstetrician to optimise your disease and change drugs which would not be safe in pregnancy.
Do let me know if any other queries occur in this regard, I'd be happy to help.
Best of luck.