Vitiligo, diabetic

Dear Doctor, I have vitiligo from nearly 15 years. i delivered a baby 8 months back and since pregnancy my vitiligo started spreading all over my body. During pregnancy i found about diabetes, and was on insulin throughout. after delivery not on medication, but need to start soon. i am on thyronorm 75 and also am obese too. Do i have a hope to get treated and recover my skin and myself? I desperately need help.

Doctor Answers (3) on Vitiligo, diabetic

Dr. Ramakant H. Bembde Aurangabad | Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon
If vitiligo is stable, then plastic surgery can be done for cosmetic improvement.
Greetings. Vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder. It may have exacerbations/ improvements depending on various factors. This is a treatable condition, however, cure may not be promised. That is – the pigmentation may be attempted to be improved to normal with the help of medications. If the disease is active, you’ll need immunosuppressive medication to control its spread. Also phototherapy is a good form of therapy to improve your condition. Kindly see a qualified dermatologist near you. Warm regards.
see a qualified dermatologist near you
Further queries can be sent on follow up messaging
Thanks for the query. Vitiligo is an immune system mediated skin disease which can be brought into remission by certain medications and life style changes. Now it is believed to be a multisystem disorder that can have other auto-immune comorbidities. A proper assessment to determine the presence and severity of these comorbidities is needed. There are basically 2 components of therapy – first is to stop the spread of the disease and second is to refill colour. There are different ways of doing that and it differs from patient to patient. If you have tried medical therapy and have not achieved desired results, you can consider surgical options like suction blister grafts/non cultured melanocytes suspension. It requires expertise to perform and results take few months to be visible. The prerequisite for surgery is stable disease for atleast a year. Most of the patients do well if they stick to the recommendations.
Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation.
Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results.