Varicose veins

I have noticed having varicose veins in my left leg extending from above my knees to mid portion of my legs for maybe more than a year now.Occasionally i get leg cramps and pain in the area .Should I be worried about it and if so what are the treatment options for it.

Doctor Answers (1) on Varicose veins

Tiji Mathew Thomas Ernakulam | Physiotherapist
Varicose veins arise due to a variety of reasons, but given the symptoms it's likely to have occurred due to strain or excessive use or bad stressful posture. If unattended it may progress. You may consult with a sclerotherapy specialist to assess your condition. Doppler tests may be ordered depending on the physical assessment to know if there is any deep circulation involved. Use of graded compression stockings during long periods of standing or activities helps in increasing the compartment pressure and support to veins. Resistance band exercises along with stockings really helps in draining the pooled blood in veins and toning up the muscles and preventing cramps. Cycling is a great activity for lower limb circulation. Also get yourself assessed by a physiotherapist for any deviation in normal foot arches which also contributes to the development of varicosities.