animal-health-icon

Unsure about rabies

My dog just playfully bit me in my arm, there was no bleeding just a scratch which was red and swollen a bit the swell subsided the very next day but since then i am worried if i get rabies. My dog is 3 and 1/2 year old he usually stays with the street dogs but i have had it vaccinated when it was 3 month then again after 1 and 1/2 year and recently one month before it bit me i gave it a booster dose because it was bitten by a stray dog. It has been 4 days since it bit me the dog and me we both are absolutely fine and my dog is not showing any ill sign. But still i was worried and contacted a pharmacist he gave me a tetanus injection and said me not to worry since the dog was fine and it was given a booster dose few days earlier and also the worst part is there is no available stock of anti-rabies injection in my town not in govt hospital nor in any pharmacy. Should i worry about it.???

Doctor Answers (2) on Unsure about rabies

Dr. Prachi Kshatriya Mohali | Veterinary Surgeon
See if ur dog is vaccinated thn most probably rabies is nt an issue nd for the rabies the wound has be deep enf...but kindly consult a human doctor instead of a chemist coz ur dog has been bitten by a stray dog earlier...so I wud suggest u to meet any general physian if nt in govt hospital thn Pvt hospital...coz ur safety is always important
Dr. Praveen Dutt Sharma Noida | Veterinary Surgeon
Not really to worry. U can avoid Anti rabies as no bleeding was there, ur dog properly vaccinated, very good u had gone for T.T. As it's ur dog u can watch dog for further any period u want for rabies symptoms as recommended. Last but not least if u r not mentally satisfied, no option but to go for ur anti rabies anytime when u find it. Mental satisfaction is must. Thanks