Suggestion

I was going through depression and have been taking Nexito 10 1 per day as prescribed by my psychatrist for the past 9 months and now I no longer need it so can i now stop taking it?? Is there any course to reduce medicine or can i stop taking it from now??

Doctor Answers (3) on Suggestion

Dr. Kavita Sagarkar Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hi,  usually  medication after first episode of Depression is about 9 months to 1year depending on the severity,  family history  etc.  You seem to have recovered sufficiently.
My suggestion  however is please undergo few sessions of counselling  so as to better handle any life stressors and be equipped  with coping strategies for the future.  Then you can confidently reduce and stop the medication. 
Hope this helps,  All the Best!
Dr. Indranil Saha Kolkata | Neuropsychiatrist
It depend on the duration of your depressive illness, severity, past episodes, family history of any mood disorder, any high risk behaviour, Suicidal behaviour, atypical features, your profession, family support system . Stopping medicine is very easy, But the chances of relapse of depression is also very high on medicine discontinuation. You doctor will be the best judge to decide. normally of 1st episode uncomplicated depression we suggest to take antidepressant for atlas 10 to 12 months.
Dr. Priyanka Yadav Ghaziabad | Addiction Psychiatrist
Dear User

Usually antidepressants have to be taken for at least an year or two after first episode of depression as depression is a chronic illness like diabetes with high risk of relapse( episode happening again). So it's important to complete the whole course. Also stopping it needs to be gradual under supervision of psychiatrist to watch for any worsening. Instead of self treating it will be better to collaborate the termination of treatment with your treating psychiatrist.