Stammering problem.

Don't know what exactly the problem is. Let me explain the whole. When i speak small sentences then i speak very fluently without any problem. But when i try to speak long sentences then sometimes i stammer. apart from this sometimes when speak, mistakenly i speak other work then the actual work i was trying to speak. when i speak my mother tongue then the problem is very less i.e. punjabi. but in other languages like hindi and english is more then that. I am a software developer and according to my surroundings i am very intelligent. i can solve any issue in my work very quickly. but Due to this i am loosing confidence in public speaking. Please suggest some treatment.

Doctor Answers (2) on Stammering problem.

Dr. Jinita Malhotra Mumbai | Psychotherapist
Hello, According to the history you have given , it indicates loss of self confidence. You don't trust your self fully. To build your confidence you need to enhance your speaking skills by reading and practicing. It's okay to make mistakes but this will help you. One suggestion I would give you is note down new words with their meaning and revise and use it while speaking, think before you speak and speak slowly. And I would recommend you to visit a counselor for proper help. Regards, Dr Jinita Malhotra
Venkat Raghav Bangalore | General Physician
Hello... Slow down pace of talking.. Punjabis talk too fast.. Did you have this problem since childhood or developed lately?? Fear, anxiety, lack of confidence could be the reason.. With mother you don't hesitate, but you might feel little uncomfortable out side.. Try rehearsal imagining people around you. Consult speech therapist.