Softing of cartilage

I have soft knee cartilage and surface irregularity. Doc said its chondromalasia. I used to do heavy squats in gym. Is it because of overuse? Is it possible that I have damaged my cartilage but still the patella and femoral cavity alignment is well maintained? I hear mild clicking sound from knee

Physiotherapist 4 yrs exp Navi Mumbai
Yes, As you mentioned, mild clicking sound from knee, it suggests injury to cartilage. However it is not necessary to get a misalignment of patella everytime you get your cartilage injured. Common causes of the condition is heavy workout, overuse, or age related wear & tear as in arthritis. You are advised to rest your knee if its acute. Stretching of quadriceps and hamstrings will help your cause. Progress to static muscle exercises and then strengthening of quads, hams, adductors and abductors. Non weight bearing exercises will be suitable for you. Visit a physiotherapist if still in doubt.