Smoking Problem

I want to stop my habit of smoking.. But I am unable to do so.. Whenever some problem or tension comes up.. Due to anxiety and depression problem.. The only solution finding helpful is smoking.. Is there any way to stop this

Doctor Answers (1) on Smoking Problem

Ms. Vidhi Shah Prabhu Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Hi, it seems like you use smoking as a mood of distraction. However, nicotine does create a physiological craving in which case nicotine gum/patches or even electric cigarettes have been found helpful in smoking cessation. There are certain medicines available for the same for which you could visit a psychiatrist. There are other healthier options like that of engaging in physical activities for eg: running, swimming, tennis etc which can help channel your stress and curb your smoking habit. These activities help vent your frustration and also prove to be a good distraction for your stress. If the problem remains I suggest you visit a counselor for more coping strategies.