About 2 years back I was constantly losing sleep in the night, and was irritable throughout the day. I visited a Psychiatrist and he prescribed me Feliz-s (escitalopram oxalate) 20 mg. Later he decreased the dosage to 10 mg. Every time I visited him, he asked me to continue these tablets. How do I get out of this pls.

Doctor Answers (1) on Sleeplessness

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Your treatment with escitalopram, must have been started for depressive or anxiety condition. Sleeplessness and irritably could have been markers of the same. Regarding discontinuing medications, my string advice would be to not do it by yourselves. The decision to stop a medication by a psychiatrist needs to be based on a host of factors eg. age, severity if prior episode, presence of death wishes in episode, suicidal behaviors, family history, degree of recovery in the symptom profile etc. Discuss on detail with your psychiatrist regarding the duration for which you need to take medication. Your enhanced understanding about your psychiatric history and treatment will go a long way in helping you for better management of your health in the future. Hope this helps you..