Sleepless nights

I have 1 year old baby. M worried about his sleeping pattern. He sleeps at around 9pm n wakes up at around 7am.but in between every half an hour he wakes up ( does not open his eyes) n cries. Then som1 will take him in lap n try making him sleep again. Again in some time he will wake up in same manner. This circle goes throughout the night until he wakes up completely at 7. Due to his sleeping pattern I have to give him milk( no breastfeeding) twice or thrice in a night.but still the problem continues. It's been almost 1 year for me n baby both that we have not slept more than 2 hours in a stretch.. now m worried as it's affecting my body too.. hopeful for solutions pediatrician has refused to give any medicine for his sleep as he is too small..please help..

Doctor Answers (1) on Sleepless nights

Dr. Trupti Shetty Pune | Pediatrician
We wake up several times at night,  but fall back to sleep without even knowing. That's because we have conditioned ourselves to do that.
Small babies are used to falling asleep by feeding, rocking etc and they get used to it. They don't know that they can self soothe and fall asleep without any of these props. We as parents have to help them realize that.
Make sure u are well rested before trying this. One of the nights,  try letting him self soothe at least once.  Do not pick him up as soon as he cries.  Lengthen your picking up interval by few seconds or minutes each time. U may be surprised to see that one of these times he falls back asleep on his own. U can also take turns with your husband or a close relative which is willing to help