Sleep problem

Hello doctor, when I am in deep sleep I suddenly get up in shock many times. And my heart starts beating very fast and loud. My husband sleeps next to me. During any other time in the day if I fall asleep, then also I get up with a shock and when I get up, if I find myself alone in the room I get even more scared and start searching where my husband is. I do not have any breathing problems. I don't get any bad dreams also. I made my visit to cardiologist and did the tests. The doctor said everything is normal and it's not heart related. Please help me. Tell me why this happens. And please give me a solution.

Doctor Answers (3) on Sleep problem

hi, you should start exercising and tiring your body. that will help you get sound sleep. also visit a psychologist in your area and seek therapy. take care
Dr. Suhasini Das Bangalore | Psychiatrist
Hello Madam..your symptoms suggest nocturnal panic attacks..treatment is the same for usual panic attacks..treatment will begin with meditation to control your panic attacks.. After that therapy will help in decreasing anxiety and preventing relapse.. I would suggest that you visit a psychiatrist first.. Get a thyroid test in case it's not done..follow few tips : avoid drinking coffee or tea at night,  have regular meals, maintain regular sleep patterns, brief exercise. But remember these will not treat the panic attacks. But a regular lifestyle will definitely help in reducing stress.
Visit psychiatrist, thyroid test
Dr. Satish Ramaiah Bangalore | Addiction Psychiatrist
Hi your description indicates likely nocturnal panic attacks. If it is the case, it is treatable and is a type of anxiety disorder. Usually we will have to first do a comprehensive assessment to rule out any underlying physical health issues and to determine the causes. Panic attacks are treated with combination of psychological treatment like cognitive behavior therapy, medicine, sleep hygiene, lifestyle modifications (like yoga, meditation, relaxation) and addressing any underlying stresses. Please consult a psychiatrist to start appropriate treatment. Beat wishes