Severe toothpain..

My father's tooth is paining very badly. He washed his mouth twice but even then it is paining. He suspects of some insects biting his teeth. Please suggest me any immediate relief or any action which needs to be done for quick relief. It's difficult to see him in pain like this. He is 56 years old. Please help me...

Doctor Answers (7) on Severe toothpain..

If it is so, you have to visit dentist asap, check for any decayed tooth, food lodgement, or else
for now he can take painkillers, depending on his medical history,
don't avoid to visit dentist
Dr. Mithun Jith Puducherry | General Physician
Hi, very remote chances of insect biting the tooth. Even if it's so, only by consulting a dentist u would get a treatment for your fathers problem. Do it at the earliest. If it's tooth infection waiting for the situation to resolve by itself is risky. He can go for a swelling also. Quick reliefs are only for few hours. Taking drugs without doctors prescription is also not recommended.
Consult a dentist ASAP
Doing warm salt water rinsing can help to a certain extent
Hello, You need to take him to a dentist ASAP as his tooth seems to be infected.He may need a root canal treatment for the offended tooth.He can take a good painkiller like Ugesic,to be placed under the tongue until it dissolves completely,twice daily,morning and night.Regards,DR Suman Makam,Dental arts,Jayanagar,Bangalore.
1) If he has seen Insect, it could be maggots. These worm like things usually grows in badly kept oral hygiene and people who keeps mouth open during sleep (flies lay egg in mouth during this time)
2) pain could be due to gum infection
3) pain could be due to tooth decay
4) pain could be due to pus formation by gum infection/ tooth decay.

Symptomatic treatment: take a pain kiler, avoid any hot/warm food. Apply cold compression from outside (over face)

Treatment: rush to your nearest dental clinic, ask for an oral diagnostician (OMR), he/she will take an radiograph( image via x ray) and will tell u the treatment plan.
Thank u.

Dr. Akanksha S.D Bangalore | Oral Medicine and Radiology
For temporary relief take painkiller such as zerodol SP two times a day and visit a dentist as soon as possible for treatment
Hi A severe continuous pain is indicative of a deep cavity involving the nerve in your teeth. You will have to see a dentist in person to resolve the issue . Regards
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. 

I can understand your concern.  .insect wont stay alive in the mouth for so long. Its not insect.
As of now he can take a tab. Zerodol-p twice a day after food for a day and do warm salt water gargles thrice a day.
If it still persists, consult a a dentist in person for further evaluation and management.
Best regards.
Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Bangalore.