We found out a good groom for my sister from every aspect he is good and healthy. But his mother suffers from schizophrenia when he was at school. My question is that is there any problem if he marries my sister? Is there any probability of suffering from the same for my sister's child?
views-icons 63 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Schizophrenia

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Sir,main thing you should understand here is that there is no definitive cause for schizophrenia. Most of the time it is attributed to genetics and environmental factors because of that. There are instances where there is no history of suffering from schizophrenia in their entire family but patient would have been suffering from it, this might be because of traumatic childhood,abusive upbringing,divorced parents, death of someone close to them,drug abuse etc so there are numerous factors which might push someone to that edge. If both the parents are suffering from schizophrenia then there is 40-50% chance of transferring this disease to there next generation but if there is only one parent then there is only 5-10% chance of transferring it to the next generation,that to if there ancestors have this disease.But if that person has got schizophrenia because of environmental factors chances of transferring the disease to the next generation is less. If you are still concerned you can consult a psychiatrist regarding this.