Schizophrenia, depression

My grandmother is suffering from intense depression and schizophrenia. Her sense of judgement and social engagement levels have declined sharply over the years. As a family we have always tried to do out best to take care of her emotionally. But owing to the hard times she experienced since she was 38 (lost husband, economic woes, raising 3 kids and so on ) , in emotional terms, her mind controls her behaviour. She is taken to certified practitioners, appointments scheduled, but it just doesn't work out. Please suggest possible ways to deal with this situation and a place or scenario where this illness can find a cure.

Doctor Answers (1) on Schizophrenia, depression

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
I certainly appreciate your efforts towards health care of your grand mother. Psychiatric illnesses can be difficult on the caregivers and can lead to feelings of despair. However you have been taking regular meditation and follow up for her, and I believe that this should help her a great degree in control of symptoms. I must also tell you that concept of cure is not applicable to most illnesses of chronic nature i.e. diabetes, hypertension, mental illnesses etc. Control of symptoms and remission is usually the goal of treatment. I would strongly urge you to discuss these aspects of her illness with your treating psychiatrist, that would help you a great degree. Being a well informed caregiver will enable you to be a better and more satisfied caregiver. Hope this helps you..