Retina detachment

Hi my left eye amblaopia, last year Sept it had accident and detach retina, in Oct it operations two times, now doctor said again operation should be done due to cataract and out of silicon oil, but he didn't make me sure after that it will be OK and I never need any surgery, please help me

Doctor Answers (4) on Retina detachment

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello
1. During retina detachment surgery,we put silicone oil in eye....this surgery is necessary to remove silicon oil....if not removed,there is risk of emulsification of oil which will further damage the eye

Don't worry...this surgery is necessary

Dr. Arun Rajan Thiruvananthapuram | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Cataract is common after Retinal detachment surgery with silicone oil. You will have to undergo cataract surgery with Intra ocular lens implantation and silicone oil removal. Take the opinion of a second Doctor if you aren't satisfied.
Dr. Rajen Mehta Rajkot | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
You can not have silicone oil permanently in your eye. It has its lifespan which varies from 6 to 12 months. Once it starts to get emulsify it creates more problem. Developing cataract after retina detachment surgery is not uncommon. So silicone oil removal and cataract surgery can be planned in a single sitting. Vision postoperative will depend on the strength and viability of the retina. I advise you to undergo surgery for the same.
Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello, I went through your query, it is hard to comment in this situation with out knowing your complete medical history and present clinical condition. Since you mentioned cataract, of there is cataract you need surgery. If you are not satisfied your doctor please ask him direct questions. Or else you can always take 2nd opinion from another doctor in person with all your reports.