Relationship

Since the day I broke up with my girlfriend I have been having panic attacks, over thinking , doing nothing but thinking about her all day , its been 4 weeks now. I am still talking to her as friends or well wisher or something like that but its like she is paying me back by caring for me Zn I don't know what to do , I am very much in love with her, I cared for her since the day I saw her, its not like I am a filmy person who believes in fairy tales but I bet you there was some supernatural about our understanding and now she isn't there for me, I don't want to spoil my life just because of her as I need to take care of my parents to for that I meed to focus on my career but this problem is eating me up , I need help in dealing with this

Doctor Answers (2) on Relationship

Dr. Kavita Sagarkar Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hi, a break up seems like things will never get better. Remember, it only seems like that!  There are many questions and negative emotions like why did it happen to me, what did I do wrong, how can I live without this person etc.
Most of this is normal and usually after a breakup , after a certain amount of time has passed , you heal from within and are able to function properly again.
You have not been able to get over the breakup for past 4 weeks now. Please consult a Psychiatrist who specialises in counseling or a Psychologist who has counseling experience.
With 2-3 sessions of counseling you can learn techniques to get rid of the negativity of this experience and focus on getting empowered . You may need mild medication for your panic attacks( if the doctor feels it necessary) .
With help , you can come out of this situation and focus on your career and family, like you want to.
Do not let a breakup define you, you will definitely feel better with counseling!
Hope this helps, All the Best!
Dr. Akshata Bhat Mumbai | Psychiatrist
The end of a relationship often feels like the end of the world. After all the time and energy you have invested in it, it is very painful when it gets over. Keep in mind that life is full of ups and downs; nothing is permanent. The pain you feel today will go away with time. Give yourself time to heal. Give time, time. In the meanwhile don't isolate yourself from your friends and family. Confide in someone you are comfortable with. Make a list of life goals, and plan how to achieve them. Relationships are an important part of your life, but they are not everything. Spend time with those close to you, indulge in some enjoyable activities. Keep yourself busy. Slowly you will see that there is a lot to life.
However if you are feeling suicidal, consult a psychiatrist immediately. Don't wait to feel worse.