cancer-icon

Rectal Cancer

One of my friend got excessive bleeding problem and on consultation, it came to be known as Rectal Cancer (Adenocarcinoma). Can you tell me the stage of cancer from attached reports, period of recovery and possible list of hospitals specialized for such treatment (preferably in North India).

Doctor Answers (3) on Rectal Cancer

Dr. Jawahar Ticku Delhi | Radiation Oncologist
If it is operable, it should be the first choice. If it is inoperable it is better to undergo preoperative Chemotherapy or combined chemo Radiotherapy to make it operable. If resection after it is successful, then we should go for pelvic Radiotherapy. If on MRI of pelvis there is no lymphadenopathy or any visceral involvement only pelvic Radiotherapy is sufficient. If there is suspicion of involvement beyond pelvic region,further Chemotherapy should  be considered.
Since you are in Panchkula, you should go to PGI, where there is best cancer center.
Dr. Jawahar Ticku
Dr. Sandeep Nayak Bangalore | Surgical Oncologist
The investigations that you have submitted are not sufficient to tell the stage. It only gives a diagnosis. Please get staging investigations done.
I usually prefer a MRI scan of pelvis and a contrast CT SCAN of abdomen. If you share that report we can plan further treatment.
Dr. K SYED AKRAM Hyderabad | Radiation Oncologist
28 year, feamale , presented with bleeding per rectum, as per reports attached it is adenocarcinoma mid rectum With available reports it is not possible to stage the disease as full investigations are required. like MRI ABDOMEN & PELVIS or CECT ABDOMEN & PELVIS along with endorectal ultrasound for knowing local extension. Chest X ray and serum CEA other investigations. Duration of treatment depends on treatment being planned. which is possible after thorough clinical examination and proper staging of the disease. Usually patient requires 1. surgery, followed by radiotherapy + chemotherapy , followed by chemotherapy. Or 2. radiotherapy +chemotherapy followed by surgery, followed by chemotherapy. Treatment plan will be individualised hence better to attend higher cancer centre where a good team available to do best. In North India you can attend central level institutes or depending on affordability can select pvt hospital with above said services available.
Consult your oncologist for proper examination and management.