Problem & pain in nail

My mother is not getting continuous growth of nails. Her nails is coming part by part. There will be a very irresistible pain in that portion. Its in her right thumb only. She couldn't touch water also because some kind of pain when her (that particular nail) comes in contact with water. Extreme pain persists for a certain time, she is not following any medication for this particular disorder. I've attached a photo of her nail. What is this problem? Please suggest us a good medicine. She is suffering from diabetes & under medication.

Doctor Answers (1) on Problem & pain in nail

This is limited details and more precise information is needed about your skin condition which can help in planning a treatment. A thorough history, clinical examination and appropriate laboratory tests will be needed to solve the mystery. A photograph would have been helpful. Consider seeing a Dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment plan. The photograph is not getting downloaded, you can resend it,
Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation.
All the best. Avoid self-medications.