Plate removal
Last yr in april i have undergone implantation of plate in my arm due to shaft in it ... my doctor is suggesting not to go for removal of the plate now n leave it as so forever since he says he implanted biodegradable plate ... is it adviceable to remove it or not please advice

Dr. J. P. Singh
Orthopedist 13 yrs exp Delhi

Although it is not mandatory to remove implants, but it is still preferable to remove implant especially in young patients. Usually plate removal is indicated after about 2 years of surgery, when fracture has properly consolidated. I believe that the plate inserted is less likely to be biodegradable
Dr. Satish Reddy Gandavarapu
Orthopedist 22 yrs exp Hyderabad

Plates need not be removed mandatorily. They can be left inside for ever. The only complication is if you sustain a fracture, again, it is likely to break at the end of the plate. Then it requires a long plate. I have not seen biodegradable plates, and they are not in common use. Make sure that the plate is infact biodegradable.
Get a second opinion.