Plate removal

Last yr in april i have undergone implantation of plate in my arm due to shaft in it ... my doctor is suggesting not to go for removal of the plate now n leave it as so forever since he says he implanted biodegradable plate ... is it adviceable to remove it or not please advice

Doctor Answers (2) on Plate removal

Dr. J. P. Singh Delhi | Orthopedist
Although it is not mandatory to remove implants, but it is still preferable to remove implant especially in young patients. Usually plate removal is indicated after about 2 years of surgery, when fracture has properly consolidated. I believe that the plate inserted is less likely to be biodegradable
Plates need not be removed mandatorily. They can be left inside for ever. The only complication is if you sustain a fracture, again, it is likely to break at the end of the plate. Then it requires a long plate. I have not seen biodegradable plates, and they are not in common use. Make sure that the plate is infact biodegradable.
Get a second opinion.