Pcos with acne vulgaris

I have pcos since 3yrs. Doctors advised contraceptives. I m using these from long time but no progress is seen. Still periods are irregular along with frequent acne on face and back. Is this prblm never going to be solved?

Doctor Answers (1) on Pcos with acne vulgaris

Thank you for your question.
Pcod is a complex metabolic disorder of which irregular periods due to anovulatory cycles are just one manifestation. If you are not responding to conventional treatment it would be a good idea to discuss your treatment plan with your consultant. Ideally you need to be under the care of a gynaecologist with expertise in endocrinology. You will also need a strict exercise and diet plan to manage the insulin resistance which is at the root of the problem. It is also possible that irregular bleeding is happening because of other reasons than pcod and these need to be ruled out. If you are sexually active it could even be due to an infection. Other causes can be related to the cervix which needs looking at by using a speculum.
Best wishes