Pain,tenderness in rct and crown tooth
I had root canal and crown on#46. No cavities or infection. Have constant burning pain in lower jaw under ear and side of the neck since May month. Dentist suspect there might be a fracture and want me to extract it. I went back to Endodontist and he couldn't see any fracture in microscope. Told me to do Rct and crown. Dentist did cbct scan and suspect fracture from it. Endo didn't take any cbct. Only x-rays taken. I went back to dentist as same symptoms after permanent crown. Dentist tapped on that crown and it hurts. What does it Indicate? He gave me bite paper to check bites. It hurts to bite on the bite paper up and down, front and back. It gives some sore pain and tenderness. I am not chewing food on that side at all. Using opposite side. I am chewing on that tooth only during bite test and it gives sore dull pain and tender. Do I need to extract this tooth? Does tapping pain indicates extraction? My dentist want me to come back next week for extraction. He is not sure though.

Dear practo user, U need to consult oral Medicine specialist for this problem. U can teleconsult on my page as well for the same. Myself MDS oral physician/oral Medicine specialist from most eminent government dental college Maulana Azad Institute DELHI (MAMC/ MAIDS). I will take a detailed history and required photographs to diagnose and manage accordingly. Thanks

Talk to experienced dentist online and get your health questions answered in just 5 minutes.

Consult with a dentist
It looks like a fracture of filling material inside! And also mild cavity on the side that is suspected to be the cause of pain! Might have to do a re root canal! Doesn’t look like a tooth fracture But there is infection inside as per the xray!
Kindly take a cbct to see what the reason is. Xrays are 2d. Cbct is 3d
The rootcanal seems to be ok if there is chronic pain its better you extract the tooth
Do u have the preoperative xray?