Pain after root canal

I am undergoing rct. On 2nd sitting for rct,while inserting a file into root canal, piercing pain felt.so doctor has to give anaesthesia ( anaesthesia also given during 1st sitting)to perform root canal.as this effect of anaesthia gone after few hours ,again pain started and I have to take pain killer. Now after 4-5 days I still feel little pain when I tap that tooth with finger.Is it normal,because I think that tooth becomes dead after rootcanal so there should be no pain.pl also note that one more sitting of root canal is left.kindly guide.

Doctor Answers (6) on Pain after root canal

Dr. Sanjay Shah Mumbai | Cosmetic/Aesthetic Dentist
A good Root Canal requires a proper procedure and care by a competent dentist.  Pain may be there in the second or third sitting specially if there is some inflammatory tissue left in root canal or some peri apical area.  Have faith.  I am sure after a thorough cleaning and filling followed by a crown u would be ok.  Feel free to consult Laser Smile Care Centre anytime.  God bless u always....
1. Pain on tapping is a sign of inflammation or infection below the tooth being treated.

2. Once your root canal is complete, this pain would gradually disappear. This is not the same pain as caused due to a 'live' tooth and can be experienced even after all the tissue from the tooth is cleaned.

3. Anesthesia may be needed in  every sitting of RCT to perform the procedure painlessly.

4. You should be free of all symptoms like sensitivity/pain/discomfort before the tooth is crowned. If not then the cause need to ruled out with proper xrays and or cbct by an expert to rule out faulty Rct/cracked rooth/missed or extra canal.

Keep Smiling !

Dr. Kshitiz Rohilla Faridabad | Oral Pathologist
Although rare, but these observations can be expected during root canal treatment.... also anaesthesia is sometimes required in the subsequent settings also...... the pain should completely subside after the procedure is over..... my advice to you will be to stop fiddling with the surgical site and also to consult any endodontist for second opinion if you are not satisfied with the treatment that is currently going on..... at the same time, it will also be logical to convey your discomfort to your operating dentist..... Regards......
Dentist
In conventional method of rct,there can be pain in the sittings. This is due to slippage of your own saliva inside your root canal. Once the treatment is over by sealing the access cavity such slippage can be stopped & pain will subside with time. N.B. rct is a surgical procedure too,please refrain from irritating the surgical site,in this case it's the tooth which is being treated.
Dr. Sanket Sheth Mumbai | Endodontist
As an endodontist (root canal specialist) I would answer this question .. root canal procedure is very similar to any invasive procedure done in body.. after the procedure expect tenderness to be there for some time.. as it is expected for body to heal(which takes its own time) if pain doesn't subside even after a month.. kindly seek an opinion of endodontist in your area.. that would help you get an expert opinion
Do not worry if pain is getting decreased gradually.do warm saline gurgle.this will help you a lot. Everything will be fine. Good luck.