Pain in Tricep Tendon

I have a pinching and shooting pain in my right hand lower triceps tendon, where it attaches to elbow, when trying to do overhead one arm triceps extension exercise with dumbbells. This pain happens when i lower my forearm to stretch the triceps. its around the elbow point. It started just week back. Please advise.

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah
Orthopedic Surgeon 12 yrs exp Chennai

Thanks due asking me to respond. Straightening the elbow results in contraction of the triceps muscle, and in the presence of a small tear will cause pain. Folding the forearm normally relaxes the muscle and should not cause pain. However during weight training like with dumbbells, there is eccentric contraction of the triceps muscle and a tear in the muscle will still cause pain. A more common cause of pain in the elbow is tennis elbow where there is severe pain around the bony projection on the outer aspect of the lower elbow, but this does not involve the triceps muscle. But movements of the elbow joint will result in excruciating pain. The best course at the moment would be to rest the elbow. Ice it if it's swollen. Certainly you must avoid weight training for another 3 weeks at the least. If pain persists even after a week of ready, I would suggest you visit the nearest ortho surgeon who can examine the elbow and order the necessary tests to arrive at a diagnosis. Good luck!

Hi, it could ligament tear ,soft tissue inflammation . First stop exercise so that local inflammation subside. See if there is local tenderness and swelling . X Ray of elbow may be required if pain doesn't subside to rule out the possibility of fracture. Consult orthopedic doctor.