Otosclerosis

My brother is suffering from otosclerosis both ears doctor says surgery is it safe to take surgery or any other medicines pls give advice

Doctor Answers (2) on Otosclerosis

Dr. Sandeep Dachuri Bangalore | ENT/ Otolaryngologist
If its a clear cut case of otosclerosis , proven by an audiologist and an ENT SURGEON, I suggest you to go ahead and get operated on the worse ear first. Select a good ENT surgeon in your locality ( DR SKE appa rao and Dr krishna KISHORE are good in Vizag) get it operated.
Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist
Otosclerosis is essentially incurable degenerative bone disease in Ears which will culminate in complete deafness within about 20 years of diagnosis. Stapedectomy only bypasses the ossicles and conducts the incident sound from eardrum using a piston to the oval window directly. In the interim the disease will migrate into the cochlea and ultimately destroy it. So, effectively the surgery merely gives good hearing for 7-10years and then the hearing will progressively worsen and patient goes completely deaf by 15th year. Alternatively good RIC type hearing aids will also give great hearing but as there is no surgical manipulation, the disease process does not accelerate as rapidly as seen in operated patients. Cost of surgery and good hearing aids are about the same. Ultimately patient has to take the call. If I were to choose, I would opt for hearing aid for the better hearing ear and stapedectomy to the bad ear!