Need to stop medication

I have been taking methylphenidate since 8 years and I am finding it very difficult to manage these days. Intense mood swings, depression during the damping of medicine effects, general social anxiety. Want to know alternatives. Have been drinking and smoking cannabis lately to ease the effects of stimulant. Please suggest what I can do. I Will visit a psychiatrist but I'm scared of more medications.

Doctor Answers (2) on Need to stop medication

Dr. Era S. Dutta Mumbai | Addiction Psychiatrist
Hello. I can understand the fear of adding on more medications, but as is obvious, a lot of "self medication" needs to be tapered off. That includes the medication and drugs (cannabis and alcohol). No treatment is complete without therapy. A right combination of medication and therapy is essential.
Dr. Amit Sharma Ghaziabad | Counselling Psychologist
You haven't mentioned what were the symptoms when the medicine has been prescribed, it can be the issues related to concentration and hyperactivity, well it will be helpful to visit nearby Psychologist for counseling so that you can successfully learn to take control over your current undesired behavioural and psychological situations. Do not stop or modify the doses of medicine by your own. Intake of alcohol and cannabis may initially create a temporary sense of wellbeing but it will increase your psychological discomfort and can lead to new and/or intense symptoms.