My cousin having vitiligo

She have small white patches at hand and legs.. Need to know that vitiligo is a disease which can spread over the body later and is there any affect for kids after marriage... Is there any cure Or treatment.. Pls advice

Doctor Answers (2) on My cousin having vitiligo

Dr. Meghna Mour Mumbai | Dermatologist
vitiligo is a skin disorder which u may or may not inherit from your family . there is only 25% chance of it passing to the kids .there is no other systemic ( internal) disease . it may or may not spread to rest of the body depending on individual patients . they can happily get married, have children , treatment options cannot be explained without seeing the patient
see a skin specialist
Thanks for the query. Vitiligo is an immune system mediated skin disease which can be brought into remission by certain medications and life style changes. Now its believed to be a multi system disorder that can have other auto immune comorbidities. A proper assessment to determine the presence and severity of these comorbidities is needed.If you have tried medical therapy and not achieved desired results, you can consider suction blister grafts/non cultured melanocytes suspension, a sort of surgery performed for Vitiligo. It requires expertise to perform and results take few months to be visible. There are other surgical methods as well, but this two are quite popular and effective.The prerequisite for surgery is stable disease for atleast a year, There is a role of genetics but it is unpredicatble.
Meet an expert in treating vitiligo.